Tuesday, December 05, 2006

  • Main Page
  • Harder Than It Looks

    Once again we find ourselves enmeshed in the Holiday Season, that very special time of year when we join with our loved ones in sharing centuries-old traditions such as trying to find a parking space at the mall. We traditionally do this in my family by driving around the parking lot until we see a shopper emerge from the mall, then we follow her, in very much the same spirit as the Three Wise Men, who 2,000 years ago followed a star, week after week, until it led them to a parking space.
    -Dave Barry

    Putting up a Christmas tree . . . harder than it looks. The beau and I spent our entire Saturday picking out a tree (all wrapped up in twine from the journey down from Washington State), buying a Christmas tree stand, and some lights, and a wreath, and some garland, and . . . (hey - he told me to get whatever I wanted!), tying it to the top of the car (and this is why we should all date Eagle Scouts), and setting it into the stand. Did I mention that I have a whole new appreciation for my dad these days? All those trees he's put up over the years . . . It was way harder than it looks to get it straight, string the lights, find the perfect angle . . . The decorating was the easy part. But wasn't it worth it? (It was dark when we finished, so excuse the poor photo quality.) There are surprisingly few handknit ornaments on the tree, given my minor obsession with the small round objects. I guess I give most of them away. We also decorated the mantle a bit with pinecones and ribbons. I made the stockings; full post to follow.
    In other Christmas decorating news (and yes that was your only knitting content in this post), I'm learning that there are distinct advantages to the masculine way of decorating . . . which is not at all. We primarly decorated the beau's place since his family is coming out for Christmas, and his completely bare white walls were just a tabula rasa for Christmas fun. It actually looks quite elegant . . . except for the chili pepper lights we just couldn't resist. They look great with the kitchen adornments below! Now aren't we all in the mood to finish our Christmas knitting?

    16 Comments:

    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Putting up Christmas trees is hard. I don't know how my Dad continues to do it (he's in his 70s). I've done it twice, with trees much smaller with spotty results.

    The chili pepper lights are a great touch. I haven't done one bit of decorating, too busy with the holiday knitting.

    12/05/2006 9:40 PM  
    Blogger Marina said...

    First thing I did was to look for the handknit ornaments. I can't see even one! You need to knit more, dear ;-)

    12/06/2006 2:54 AM  
    Blogger Carole Knits said...

    The decorations are quite festive. As for Christmas knitting, I don't knit or Christmas. I like to hold on to my sanity. :-)

    12/06/2006 3:38 AM  
    Blogger Jenn said...

    Awwww, holiday decorating with the beau.....

    12/06/2006 4:43 AM  
    Blogger Elinor said...

    When his family shows up, they will definitely know that a female was involved in the decorations!! It's the cookie cutters. Very M. Stewart. They look great!!

    We haven't gotten a tree yet. Normally, I drag my husband to get our tree super early but with baby Beatrix and no gift knitting, I've sort of forgotten that it is past TIME! I think he's going to get one this weekend while I'm out of town. So much for a family affair!!

    12/06/2006 5:59 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I love your tree! My husband is an Eagle Scout too...his tree tying services came in very handy on Sunday!

    Your knitted stockings are marvelous!

    12/06/2006 7:10 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Awesome tree! We still need to get ours...and hope the dog doesn't think he's outside once it's up. ;) Love the cookie cutter decorations!

    12/06/2006 7:51 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Putting up Xmas decorations with a beau - that is a serious step. Especially if you are still speaking civilly afterwards.

    12/06/2006 1:50 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    The tree is gorgeous and I love the cookie cutter idea. I think I'm going to steal it!

    12/06/2006 2:46 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Awesome tree! It reminds me of the first one I had with my now-husband. So new, so full of ornaments straight from the store....Soon you'll have lots of "memory" ornaments. And great stockings - I should knit us some.

    12/06/2006 4:00 PM  
    Blogger Unknown said...

    wow, I wish I could have a real tree... i think my cats would tear it down! All of your decorations look fantastic

    12/06/2006 5:19 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Ooh, can't wait to see the stocking details -- they look great.

    Yes, I agree, all the trouble of hauling and wrangling the live tree is totally worth it in the end. Enjoy romantic nights by the glow of the Christmas tree! (I'm sure I don't have to tell you.)

    12/06/2006 6:43 PM  
    Blogger jennie said...

    you inspired me -- I hung my Christmas lights tonight. It feels so much cheerier (?) here now...

    12/06/2006 7:39 PM  
    Blogger carrie said...

    it all looks wonderful! i haven't even started decorating! this weekend, definitely.

    12/06/2006 8:32 PM  
    Blogger JayJay said...

    Your tree and decorations look fantastic! I can practically smell the lovely pine scent. :) We are still deciding on what to do about a tree. If it's a rosemary topiary pruned in the shape of a Christmas tree, does it still count?

    12/07/2006 11:18 AM  
    Blogger Anneliese Kelly said...

    Once again I'm convinced that living in New York is stunting my growth as a functioning adult. I went online, ordered my tree, had it delivered to my door complete with stand and set up for me. They're taking it away the week after New Year's. I did string the lights myself, however, which I could have paid them to do. And I have handknit ornaments! (including the little pair of mittens you gave me last year).

    12/09/2006 6:59 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home