Sunday, December 17, 2006

  • Main Page
  • Fun With Macro, er, Manly Gifts

    There is no happiness in having or getting; only in giving.
    -Henry Drummond

    I made my mailing deadline yesterday - hurrah! So I guess I'll actually post about some of the Christmas knitting and not just show you random photographs of things lying around. Apparently I think all the men in my life like neutral tones. I may or may not be right about this, but look at what they're getting for Christmas:

    First up - the second to last in the set of Christmas face cloths. This is also in Mission Falls 1984 cotton, in off-white. It took nearly all of 50 grams, minus a previous swatch. I used some random dishcloth pattern. Seed stitch is very manly, right? And second is a scarf that's actually part of a scarf-and-hat set. I was literally weaving in ends of the hat in line at the post office, so no photos of that yet. I'll coerce my relatives in getting modeled photos for me. This is a mistake stitch rib scarf in KnitPicks Decadence. Oh, you wanted the official details to see how it compares to Laura's? Fair enough.

    Manly Ribbed Scarf
    Pattern: mistake stitch rib on 27sts
    Yarn: KnitPicks Decadence in tan or khaki or whatever they're calling beige these days
    Needles: Addi Turbos US11 - and boy were they speedy!
    Notes: Only two skeins to make a long (5'6") scarf that blocked out plenty wide enough - that's about $12 for those of us on a budget. And for another skein a made a matching hat with a roll-up brim, although I used US10 needles for that and it took every inch of the 50g.Best Thing About This Project: I'm pretty sure the recipient doesn't read the blog. And even if he does? It's a family-wide Pollyanna, so he won't know it's for him until he opens it. Finally some knitting I can blog about!

    16 Comments:

    Blogger Liz said...

    Nicely done! I'm so impressed that you made your mailing deadline, and will not be shipping things FedEx for Saturday arrival (as I would, if I even thought to mail things rather than just wait for the next time I see someone). Now, go enjoy whatever free time you might have between now and the holiday!

    12/17/2006 8:20 PM  
    Blogger Jenn said...

    Very impressive making the mailing deadline! I don't think I'll make it, but if the gifts are late that just makes Christmas last longer, right?

    12/17/2006 8:31 PM  
    Blogger silverarrowknits said...

    You are so kind with making sure the guys got manly looking washcloths. In the end, everyone got a Mason-Dixon washcloth. The guys just got "manly" colors.

    12/17/2006 8:57 PM  
    Blogger knitabulous said...

    I had one of those 'must make immediately' moments when I saw your face cloths. Love em.

    12/17/2006 9:28 PM  
    Blogger Marina said...

    The scarf is gorgeous. That would keep the recipient warm and stylish during the winter!

    12/18/2006 3:03 AM  
    Blogger Carole Knits said...

    I love mistake rib scarfs - great job!

    12/18/2006 4:11 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    That's a great looking scarf! Matt has actually requested that I knit him a scarf -- the first time he has requested any sort of knitted item from me, yay! -- and I am evaluating manly stitch patterns. This is a good candidate.

    12/18/2006 5:47 AM  
    Blogger Lynda said...

    weaving the ends in line at the post office - you crack me up! That scarf looks comfy!!!

    12/18/2006 7:20 AM  
    Blogger Abigail said...

    Nice manly knits. You inspire me:D

    Merry Christmas to you and your beau!

    12/18/2006 7:11 PM  
    Blogger Laura said...

    oooh, love your mistake rib scarf! just curious, what were your final dimensions and how aggressively did you block? if i could finish mine with 2 skeins instead of 3 that would be great.

    12/18/2006 7:23 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Everything looks great! I love the neutral tones too--And that scarf looks sooo soft. I'm sure both gifts will be hits!

    12/18/2006 7:48 PM  
    Blogger Dana Marie said...

    Nice work! Did you make up the pattern?

    12/19/2006 3:43 AM  
    Blogger Rebecca said...

    And, I'm sure all the manly men in your life will love your gifts! Love the scarf and washcloth!

    I have to tie off all that fringe on the Saxon Braid scarf for my Mom today...been putting that part off for quite some time.

    12/19/2006 8:25 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Pretty! Er, I mean, handsome!

    Good news about you and The Beau getting first choices too.

    12/19/2006 11:46 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Ok, I'm not weaving the ends in on line, but the socks I am mailing today are drying on the office heating vent until my lunchtime trip to the post office! what's a Pollyanna?

    12/20/2006 8:03 AM  
    Blogger Kate Diamond said...

    I'm jealous that you made your mailing deadline. I didn't. And then I said to myself... I'm doing it on purpose, so you don't have to wait in line at the USPS if you happen to not be home when it arrives... yeah... um, sorry... The Boyfriend took me to Leavonworth. We lived on wine, cheese, and beer for four days and I didn't grade a single paper. It was fabulous.

    12/20/2006 2:44 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home