Monday, February 27, 2006

  • Main Page
  • Crowding the Podium

    The greatest memory for me of the 1984 [2006] Olympics
    was not the individual honors, but standing on the podium

    with my teammates to receive our team gold medal.
    -Mitch Gaylord

    Rachel already beat me to a full-scale description of the Team College Hill medals ceremony - check it out here. It's a beautiful tale of four Olympic knitters with a single dream, and that dream realized:
    So let's now admire our very own Olympic gold medals. See the flame? See the rings? How cool is that? I don't actually have that many photos, since I was nominated to actually place the medals on my teammates (again, check out Rachel's photos for all the action). By far the best part of the whole Knitting Olympics was Team College Hill. The fun gatherings, the Thai food, the meeting Rachel, the stardom - it's everything a team should be.

    At a moment of triumph such as this, we ought to pause and reflect on the struggles and perserverance that brought us to this point. None of the photos of Leah and her carpal tunnel syndrome demonstration came out, but Exhibit A is on your right: Katja at approximately 11pm EST on Saturday night, as she rewrote the entire final chart for Ene to line up with her new and exciting decrease system. Remember - this is a gal who hadn't knit in years until about 3 months ago - are we impressed or what?

    To go from that, the pain, the suffering, the dry hands, and perhaps just a few too many romantic comedies to this:
    And this (do note that it was 22 degrees F when we took these photos - just for you folks, just for you):
    And this (Can you believe Rachel ripped out inches and inches of the body on Saturday and still finished for her gold? Nothing but the best for Team College Hill!):
    And, last but not least, Am Kamin with her gold. Full details on the sweater - including modeled shots - coming tomorrow. For now I will say that it is stunning in person. It is by far the most beautiful sweater I own, it fits perfectly, the seams are a work of art (if I do say so myself), and I love the collar. Plus, so far I've only identified half a dozen mistakes . . . But I love it.
    Notice the mirror image of the helical-type cable on either side of the button band? Perfection.

    21 Comments:

    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Okay, I felt it was important for me to be the first to comment on this post for reasons that are probably only clear to the blog's author. Moving on.

    Hooray for Team College Hill! This was definitely the best damn Knitting Olympics a girl could hope for. My joy and triumph is tinged with sadness, though, knowing that for the 2008 games the members of the team will be scattered to the four winds. (By the way, NBC, if you're reading: don't you think that would be good fodder for one of your schmaltzy backstory videos?)

    2/27/2006 10:36 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I'm impressed, Am Kamim in 16 days. Wow.

    2/27/2006 10:37 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Team College Hill, you are my inspiration. Online procrastination will never be that fun again! Can't wait to meet you all in person in May.

    2/27/2006 10:59 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Brilliant job, ladies! Wear the masterpieces and the medals in good health!

    Your wit and perserverence are inspiring, as always.

    2/27/2006 11:25 AM  
    Blogger Chris said...

    Your updates throughout the Olympics were fabulously fun! Thanks for bringing the Team College Hill experience to life for all of us!

    And everything turned out beautifully - yay!!

    2/27/2006 11:31 AM  
    Blogger Sonya said...

    Very impressive sweater! Absolutely stunning in 16 days. I've enjoyed reading about Team College Hill's adventures. Congrats on your gold!

    2/27/2006 11:36 AM  
    Blogger Marina said...

    Gorgeous. Awesome. Fantabulous.

    So, what was sacrificed to get the gold? (curious minds just wanna know.)

    2/27/2006 12:13 PM  
    Blogger Reese said...

    yay for everyone finishing! that's so awesome. i want to do an ene's scarf now that i've seen your two lovely girls with theirs!

    2/27/2006 12:39 PM  
    Blogger kate said...

    Unbelievable! You gals all triumphed over adversity to win the golds...an inspiration to us all. Congratulations!

    2/27/2006 1:26 PM  
    Blogger Laura said...

    Fabulous gold medal projects! I can't wait to see Am Kamin in all her modeled glory!

    2/27/2006 1:30 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Omilord congratulations! You guys are amazing. I am awe struck.

    2/27/2006 1:31 PM  
    Blogger Wendy said...

    Awesome team performance. Not a hotdogging Jacobellis in the group! There is no way I ever could have cabled my heart out to a gold!

    By the way, what yarn did your Ene girls use? I like their Ene's better than my Ene -

    Thanks!

    Wendy

    2/27/2006 2:04 PM  
    Blogger MandellaUK said...

    Brilliant, brilliant results! Well done to all of you. Just shows what a little hard work and perseverence can do!

    2/27/2006 2:16 PM  
    Blogger Kim said...

    Congrats to Team College Hill! I cannot believe you finished Am Kamin in 16 days--I stare at that pattern daily and I still don't really understand it. I can't wait for the big reveal :)

    2/27/2006 4:39 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Excellent! ALL OF YOU! But oh my god I can't wait to see Am Kamin in all it's glory. Please post the pictures on the CIT blog. If you can't figure it out, let me know and I'll post them for you.

    I'm FINALLY going to start swatching this weekend. FINALLY!

    CONGRATULATIONS AGAIN! What an amazing accomplishment.

    2/27/2006 5:15 PM  
    Blogger Jenn said...

    Ooh, y'all's medals are way better than mine!
    The Ene's look beautiful! So does Tubey!

    2/27/2006 6:05 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Katja and I made our shawls with Shepherd Sock yarn from Lorna's Laces hand-dyed yarn. My color was Valentine, I don't remember the name of Katja's color....
    Thanks for all the support and good wishes during the Olympics, it kept us going ;)

    2/27/2006 7:25 PM  
    Blogger Kristen said...

    I just linked around to all of the pictures and it looks great on you! the fit is stunning and it looks like it was, well, made to fit you. The color is flattering, the cables are crisp and I'm at a loss for words when I realize you made it in 16 days. You deserve two gold medals for that feat of knitting!

    (thanks for the update of Team College Hill; I do wish I were closer and could pop in for one of your knit groups! congrats to everyone for beautiful finished knitted objects!)

    2/27/2006 9:29 PM  
    Blogger Disentangled said...

    Congrats to all at Team College Hill. You all did a wonderful job (and your members definitely had it harder in their shawl photos ;-) I can't wait to see more of Am Kamim.

    P.S. Be sure to let me know when you come to San Diego!

    2/27/2006 9:56 PM  
    Blogger Donna said...

    Outstanding! Super! Inspiring! Impressive! Magnifico! Fantastico! I am in awe! I am envious! I am so tired just reading all of your posts! No, no, just kidding! But I still can not believe all that you have accomplished in just 16 days! BRAVO! WOnderful, wonderful work!

    Donna/ Rhode Island/ Knitlist

    2/28/2006 8:50 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Beautiful knits all, fantabulous, congrats!!!

    2/28/2006 5:15 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home