Friday, February 24, 2006

  • Main Page
  • Stumbles and Tumbles

    Faster, stronger, higher is not just the Olympics motto -
    it's the magnitude of the falls, spills, and humiliation.
    -Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

    Team College Hill met last night for our traditional* Thai food and Olympic ice skating evening.

    (On your right, Leah demonstrates why it is that we are Knitting Olympians as she attempts to replicate some of the lovely spinning in Torino, and instead replicates the high number of falls.)

    As the ladies wobbled and stumbled their way through the long programs, we wobbled and stumbled our way through our Olympic projects. Alternating between hope (I've made so much progress) and despair (I have so much left), we spent more time fixing mistakes than moving forward (What did I just do there?). I think we were distracted.

    Nevertheless, much knitting was actually accomplished. Rachel's Tubey is looking great, so much so that anytime she wants to declare victory, she can have a long-sleeved wool midriff-baring top. A fashion trend just waiting to sweep the nation!

    Katja and Leah compared their lace knitting to the fancy footwork sequences on the ice, with occasional cries of "Toepick!"**

    If they were doing fancy footwork, Theresa was jumping all over the place - with several notable falls on that triple lutz combination. Fortunately, I know how to drop down my cables to rearrange them. Unforunately, I didn't take any photos.

    See that big pile o' Am Kamin? The sleeves are elsewhere, but that's the back, the completed left front, and the right front up to the armhole. (Cascade 220 for whomever was asking.) See my heating vent in the photo? Speeds up blocking like you would not believe.

    To Our Fans
    Thanks for the outpouring of love and support following our national media debut yesterday - I know I owe a lot of responses to comments and questions - but I need to plead Olympic knitting right now. (And, to my professors who are now questioning how much work I've done in the past two weeks, um, it's all an elaborate hoax. Really. Improving my Photoshop skills.) There will be all sorts of blog maintenance next week, including responses, after I win that gold.

    *Well, now it's traditional.
    **Did you know that there's a sequel to the Cutting Edge? It's coming out in March, and seems to be direct-to-DVD. I can't wait - it looks so terrible! Hey, flitgirl, let's make it a date!

    17 Comments:

    Blogger Laura said...

    Sounds like the golds are in sight for Team College Hill! Cool!

    6th Century Latin sounds like it could be fun. I'd like to say that I am going to spend the morning with my coffee, bagel, knitting, and novel, but the bagel is already gone. And my boys are clamoring to go to Grandma's for a visit. Sigh.

    2/24/2006 6:30 AM  
    Blogger Chris said...

    Hang in there!

    Looks like it was a great evening, missteps notwithstanding.

    2/24/2006 6:31 AM  
    Blogger Marina said...

    You gals are truly amazing! Looking forward to the pics from the closing ceremony.

    Go, go, go Team College Hill.

    2/24/2006 6:37 AM  
    Blogger Reese said...

    toe pick!!! i watched that movie with my hockey playin husband. too. funny. of course, he was laughing when the guy was constantly shoving his face into the ice when he tripped on the toe pick. o toe pick, so EVIL......

    2/24/2006 6:49 AM  
    Blogger Lynda said...

    Whoa ho! You are definitely on the home stretch now!

    2/24/2006 7:00 AM  
    Blogger judy said...

    I love it, love it, love it! Can't wait to see you walking around town wearing it.

    2/24/2006 7:43 AM  
    Blogger Anneliese Kelly said...

    And it stars Christ Carlson Romano, former SORORITY SISTER of mine (and Disney Channel heroine)!

    Sadly DB and Moira are not returning for this sure-to-be-horrendous follow up. I'd like to say, "If it were 50 below and seeing this movie meant the difference between a long satisfying life and a cold, horrible death from hypothermia, I still wouldn't give you the satisfaction. Now skate!"

    But you know I'll be there.

    2/24/2006 9:17 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Just to set the record straight, (and make me feel better about my chances of finishing), I wanted you all to know that I am 75.8% done! Theresa must of been too tired when she looked at the shawl progress calculator ;)
    AND I did NOT fall last night! Granted I was wearing socks, not skates. I did come close, but with a nice save I never hit the ice/floor. So maybe I can still get a gold medal afterall ;)

    2/24/2006 9:36 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    you gals are really funny....whenever in need of a new career: consider writing!
    That was a guy writing the knitting article? amazing. there must be a cluster of humorist out there up north.
    What will I be reading after the Olympics?!

    Theresa, I just love your project, and on your last picture "Am Kamin" even found its place am Kamin (sort of at least, ask Katja for translation). Since learning about it I always wondered how that name is pronounced up there in Providence - and how did a Japanese pattern designer ever come up with a German name like that?

    2/24/2006 12:54 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Your Am Kamin is absolutely gorgeous! I couldn't get past row one of the pattern, it just seemed so overwhelming to translate. I've bought 20 more pattern and stitch dictionaries in Japanese since and I WILL get it done someday. I'm going for gold on Hanne Falkenberg's Mermaid and think I'll make it barring any unforseen accident. I'm staying off the b-ball courts to avoid any Bodie Miller injury, just until I finish for additional insurance!

    2/24/2006 3:58 PM  
    Blogger Jenn said...

    One of my favorite movies! It's too bad that it's direct to dvd - my girls and I do like to visit the bad movies in the theater - Ice Princess anyone?

    2/24/2006 8:10 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    You guys are great! Your blog is more fun than watching the Olympics on TV!

    2/24/2006 9:01 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Oh man, I lamed out early and missed Leah's tryout for the 2010 Olympic team! That'll show me!

    Can't wait to see you all Sunda1y for the medal ceremony/Olympic knitwear fashion show!

    2/24/2006 9:28 PM  
    Blogger PassioKnits said...

    Theresa:
    Your Am Kamin is gorgeous! What was your national TV debut? Maybe I need to read more before I comment and ask questions.

    2/25/2006 6:25 PM  
    Blogger Kate Diamond said...

    Every ice princess needs her prince... and every guilty pleasure movie needs a nauseating follow-up.

    The flitgirl already stole my line about "a long satisfying life and a cold, horrible death from hypothermia." I sincerely doubt that any Mickey Mouse Club surfer boy type can compare to the unkempt yet strangely attractive puffiness that was DB Sweeney's "I'm a hockey player gone to seed" face.

    Gorgeous knitting, by the way. Loved the article. Love the blog.

    2/25/2006 11:27 PM  
    Blogger Wendy said...

    SEQUEL TO THE CUTTING EDGE??? That'll be about as good as Dirty Dancing in Havana!

    Am Kamin deserves a gold (clearly, inspired by the Japanese performance!)

    Wendy

    2/26/2006 7:48 AM  
    Blogger Nikki said...

    Oh my goodness, a sequel to the cutting edge. So exciting!! ;o)

    Congrats on making it to the end. And double congrats on your 15 minutes of fame! (As a Canadian, I'm flattered that you think curling and knitting are in the same league!!) ;oP

    2/26/2006 6:11 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home