Saturday, February 18, 2006

  • Main Page
  • Breaking Curfew

    The strength of Olympism comes to it from
    that which is simply human, thus worldwide in its essence.
    -Pierre de Coubertin, creator of the Modern Olympics, 1894

    Several of you commented after yesterday's post that I seemed stressed, needed a break, that maybe - just maybe - I was knitting just a little too much. While we could argue until the cows come home about whether it's really possible to knit too much, it turns out that the Olympics are about much more than any single event.

    All over the internet are tales of the wild parties in the Olympic Village. Sponsors throw elaborate and expensive parties where they give away performance-enhancing swimsuits and copious amounts of Molson.

    Team College Hill remains independent after never receiving rejecting offers of corporate sponsorship, but were were pleased to attend a party hosted by JayJay of the Knitting Special Olympics in honor of her husband's birthday. The dancing lasted until the wee small hours of the night, and led to many wild and incriminating photographs. The only one I can present here on this family-friendly blog is a rare shot of me sitting down. (Plus, I don't believe in putting up photos of people without their express knowledge and consent.) Now I know why athletes have strict curfews before their events.

    Because, really - what would the Olympics be without the parties?

    ETA: Check out the awesome button Rachel made for Team College Hill! Won't that look good with our gold medals?

    9 Comments:

    Blogger Chris said...

    Very nice button!

    It's good you took a break. I am sure you will return to your knitting refreshed and reinspired.

    Or you'll crawl back into bed and have a nap. :)

    2/18/2006 7:44 AM  
    Blogger Jocele said...

    I'd heard about those Olympic parties. Never actually seen an actual article on it though. The pregnant WIP idea cracked me up. Maybe next time I'm pregnant I'll take you up on it. Check back in a few months in that regard. Happy knitting!

    2/18/2006 9:26 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Knit too much? I understand what each of those words means independently, but together they just aren't registering.

    That aside, looks like a great time last night! I have no doubt you're back in the arena today, though.

    Tubey updates on my blog by tonight, for all those waiting on the edge of their seats.

    THIS COMMENT BROUGHT TO YOU BY ADDI TURBO, THE OFFICIAL SPONSOR OF TEAM COLLEGE HILL.

    (Err, Theresa, there's something I meant to tell you....)

    2/18/2006 1:54 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Dear Theresa,
    now you have just managed to stress me out by counting for me how much I have left to do. I may sit up all night knitting. Who knew I was supposed to knit the middle chart x4 for Ene's scarf!?!?!?
    Rachel, awesome awesome button, my key motivator at this very moment.

    2/18/2006 9:54 PM  
    Blogger Kate Diamond said...

    I am writing you this post... on my computer! Wee! Because the Boyfriend would never give candy and flowers when he could surprise me with a wireless card instead. I am giddy. I am happy. I am listening to Sugarland and I need to get off my newly connected Internet to write the Dreaded Sex Scene...

    2/19/2006 2:36 PM  
    Blogger Marina said...

    What? Didn't they serve any beer or nice Italian wine?

    2/19/2006 2:45 PM  
    Blogger Kim said...

    Everyone(including Knitting Olympians)needs a break once in a while. I just love your progress on Am Kamin--it is really giving me the bug to knit it. Just passing through on Stashalong patrol--have a great week!!

    2/20/2006 8:46 AM  
    Blogger Anneliese Kelly said...

    It's official. I now knit vicariously through you. And as I'm undergoing a thorough retrenchment, a la Sir Walter Elliott (though I don't get to retire to Bath) I will not be buying any of that beautiful fluffy cream yarn I set aside for Ene.

    Sniff. You're competing for us all. Don't forget the little people back home.

    2/20/2006 10:53 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    All the other photos were a little too racy, huh? Well, the husband did have a truly wonderful time, so it was worth it.

    I'm sure the sponsors will be lining up after they see Am Kamin. And of course some free yarn and needles would be part of any good sponsorship package.

    2/20/2006 1:30 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home