Friday, February 10, 2006

  • Main Page
  • The Organizational-Multiplying Tendency

    America is a nation of joiners.
    -Alexis de Toqueville, Democracy in America

    I'm writing an article wherein undergraduates of the 1890s lamented "The Organizational-Multiplying Tendency" that was sweeping their campus. With all respect to those beanie-clad young men and their Base Ball Association, they've got nothing on knit bloggers. With that, I bring you this week's Knit-Along Update.

    The Knitting Olympics
    Image hosting by Photobucket
    The Ultimate Knitalong Challenge. For the next 16 days, there are no others. Follow along here as Team College Hill performs fantastic feats of heroism to win their gold medals.
    • Theresa is knitting Am Kamin, and is apparently the only person in the universe crazy enough to do this.
    • Leah and Katja are knitting Ene's Scarf, with the full support of the other members of Team Ene.
    • And meet Rachel, the newest member of Team College Hill. The member in charge of dessert race food for the opening ceremonies, she'll be knitting Tubey.
    Crossed in Translation
    Image hosted by Photobucket.com
    Did I just say that the Knitting Olympics were the only knitalong? I lied. I'll be Crossing in Translation with true global spirit. I even finished the swatch hat this week. And if you can explain to me how a round hat is a swatch for a flat garment, well, you're smarter than I am.

    Stashalong
    Image hosted by Photobucket.com
    I went to a yarn store - again - and didn't buy yarn. I think helping others pick out yarn to buy is my new favorite hobby. Even my Sockapaloooza socks are from the stash!
    I also finished Winter Folly this week (which deserves, and shall receive, it's own post), but there's a whole sweater out of the stash. Huzzah!

    Count Your Socks
    Image hosted by Photobucket.com
    Add one more to my tally! I finished my 90th pair of socks this week with the Canal du Midi socks from Knitting on the Road. Regular programming will resume after the Olympics.

    It's Not A Gift
    Image hosting by Photobucket
    I finished Winter Folly. Rogue is hanging out in a corner looking rogue-ish. And now, Am Kamin. They are all for me. As long as Am Kamin fits, that is.

    Knit the Classics
    Image hosted by Photobucket.com
    Reading: February's book is Marge Piercy, Woman On the Edge of Time. I have a copy. I'm making a real effort this year to read (check out the 52 Books in my sidebar), as I feel my reading decreased a lot when I started knitting so much. Olympics or no Olympics, I want to read this. Last week I read Clifford Beers, The Mind That Found Itself, a memoir of a bipolar man at the turn of the 20th century. A fascinating look at how sanity was conceptualized then. I think the gendered and temporal contrast to Piercy's book will be worthwhile.
    Knitting: This book is all about insanity. Therefore, Am Kamin is my official KTC project this month. It will drive me insane.

    Sockapaloooza
    Image hosting by Photobucket
    This is a sock swap. I knit socks and mail them by May 2nd; someone else knits me socks. The world is small. Peace love and international understanding all increase. It's all good, and there's plenty of time.
    My swapee wants fingering weight, wool blend, and bright colors, in whatever pattern I like. I have yarn, I have a pattern and both are from the stash:
    Yarn: Sisu, a superwash fingering weight wool blend in a bright blue (cornflower-ish, maybe?)
    Pattern: Cascade Lace Socks by Anne Woodbury in Cast On from Summer 2004. It's pretty, I've never made anything from any Cast On, and I think it'll look great in this yarn. Plus, the pattern is marked "advanced" and I think my swapee deserves something impressive, my best work.

    With that, we will be broadcasting all Olympics all the time.

    Citius, altius, fortius!

    5 Comments:

    Blogger Chris said...

    Go go go go go go!!

    Has Rachel tracked down Team Tubey yet? I know they're out there, I just can't remember where I saw the link.

    Heh, my reading has increased since I started knitting - I picked up a good stock of books at the library yesterday to get me started off right, Olympicwise.

    2/10/2006 7:21 AM  
    Blogger Marina said...

    "They are all for me. As long as Am Kamin fits, that is."

    I've sometimes wondered who (besides me) the 9% who knit for themselves on the KR poll were ;-)

    Come on, Team College Hill!

    2/10/2006 8:10 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Your Winter Folly, Am Kamin and Rogue are all beautiful! Proof that the classics always look great! You do wonderful cable work!

    2/10/2006 8:23 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Yeah Team College Hill! We may not have had hundreds of people in unitards creating knitting-related imagery with their bodies, but I still think our opening ceremonies were a lot of fun. Thanks for inviting me! See you for the closing if not before!

    2/10/2006 7:59 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I am so impressed you're knitting Am Kamin for the Olympics. And not a little bit jealous. YOU GO!!! I'm totally ROOTING FOR YOU!!!

    2/12/2006 6:26 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home