Wednesday, February 01, 2006

  • Main Page
  • Gone, But Not Forgotten

    There is one thing I would break up over, and that is if she caught me with another woman. I wouldn't stand for that. -Steve Martin

    Dear Flora-in-Whisper,
    You were a beautiful pattern, a nice idea to knit flowers for Mrs. Dalloway, and a lovely color of orange. But knitting two strands together to get gauge was an annoying habit of yours that I could not look beyond. Maybe you would have softenend with washing, but your cotton was just too rough to be as soft as I need a scarf to be, and I never understood why you wanted to be 6% nylon. I always saw that measley 6% as a fear of fully committing to being yourself. For now, Flora, I think it's best that we part company, take a break from each other. Some day, perhaps, when I'm living in a sunnier and warmer climate, some day I might be able to appreciate you for who you are. Until then, good-bye, Flora, good-bye.
    In Friendship,
    Theresa
    Dear Theresa,
    Don't try to pretend that this is all about me and my "issues." I knew you were never attracted to the nylon part of my personality, never understood that my roughness is the source of my strength, and that without it, I wouldn't have those fun little fuzzy bits. But no matter what you don't "get" about me, I saw you with that Fair Isle Floozy the other day. You and that soft merino wool in five colors so cozy together - did you think I would miss that? The whole world saw it. The photos were all over the internet. Even your parents could have seen them. Aren't you ashamed of yourself?
    In anger,
    Flora-in-Whisper

    Um, no. Say good-bye to Flora. She's gone for good, ripped out, yarn in the stash. Check out the hat - isn't it fabulous? And fair isle totally counts as my Mrs. Dalloway project - it was popularized by the Prince of Wales and his golfing vest in the 1920s. So there.

    7 Comments:

    Blogger Marina said...

    Poor Flora, she doesn't get it that there's a pecking order and cotton & shock, horror nylon is way down. The poor dear will just wait for her time to come.

    Love, love love the hat.

    2/01/2006 6:22 AM  
    Blogger kate said...

    Oh, that hat is stunning! By the way, I am jealous of your macro photography abilities. I know my camera can do it, but I don't know how. :(

    2/01/2006 6:35 AM  
    Blogger Anneliese Kelly said...

    Fair Isle for me! Please?

    2/01/2006 8:02 AM  
    Blogger Stephanie said...

    The hat IS fab - even though I do understand poor Flora's anger. I guess she didn't want to end up as a wallflower (hawhaw - get it? wallfl...oh never mind). ;)

    My Mrs. Dalloway project bit the dust as well. Some things are just not meant to be.

    2/01/2006 4:39 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Forget about Flora! And look at that hat - fabulous!

    2/01/2006 4:43 PM  
    Blogger Chris said...

    Love a great rationalization. ;)

    It is a great hat, tho.

    2/02/2006 6:59 AM  
    Blogger Laura said...

    The hat is fabulous!!

    2/02/2006 11:11 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home