Friday, January 27, 2006

  • Main Page
  • Learning Along

    Learning is not compulsory . . . neither is survival.
    -W. Edwards Demming

    Welcome back to our weekly knit-along update. This week we explore the better angels of our nature and how it is good to learn new things.

    Crossed in Translation
    Image hosted by Photobucket.com
    Finally progress: I started the hat. For those of you unfamiliar with the pattern, there's a matching hat that many are using as a gauge swatch. An interesting gauge swatch, since the hat is knit in the round and the sweater flat, but it is a good chance to use most of the main patterns and get familiar with them. Remember - the Am Kamin pattern is in Japanese; my brain is not.

    Lesson Learned This Week: When Nancie Wiseman says that one of the drawbacks of the tubular cast on is that it takes "more than an average amount of time" - believe her. I know it was the first time I did it, but 2+ hours for 130 sts is definitely "more than average" for me.
    Second Lesson Learned This Week: aforementioned tubular cast on. It's pretty - Look:
    Stashalong
    Image hosted by Photobucket.com
    I still didn't buy yarn! But I did acquire some this week. My dad gave me some gorgeous Soy Silk and a shawl pattern to go with it. I think it will make a perfect wrap for those chilly San Diego evenings. I haven't had much of a chance to play around with it yet, but it is incredibly similar to silk, but maybe better - it doesn't have that weird smell. My wool-allergic friends (Hi Roomie!) are going to love this stuff. Too bad for them that I have a firm rule about yarn people give me: It's for me.

    Lesson Learned This Week: Yarn is a great gift.
    Second Lesson Learned This Week:
    Yarn plus pattern is even better, because then you know you have enough to make something appropriate.

    Count Your Socks
    Image hosted by Photobucket.com
    Houston, we may have a problem. Remember that aging stockpile thing? Full assessment still in progress. Details to follow next week.
    In the meantime, sock knitting continues with interval progress.

    Lesson Learned This Week:
    Wear slippers.
    Second Lesson Learned This Week:
    Keep your leftovers.

    It's Not A Gift
    Image hosting by Photobucket
    Now that I'm finally making progress on Am Kamin, albeit small progress, I'm working on three sweater projects - all for me. Winter Folly continues up the front. I cast on the body for Rogue and knit up past the hem pick-up. And now, Am Kamin.

    Lesson Learned This Week:
    Complicated cables and lace is not ideal for knitting groups.
    Second Lesson Learned This Week:
    I might actually finish something if I didn't work on three sweaters simultaneously.

    Knit the Classics
    Image hosted by Photobucket.com
    Reading: I picked up February's book at the library: Marge Piercy, Woman On the Edge of Time, so I'm raring to go. I couldn't find an audio version. Anyone?
    Knitting: I finally started Flora. I may or may not finish by the end of January, but I'm OK with that. It's a fast and easy project, and the flower looks fun. Knit 'n Lit Jenn wanted to know what yarn I was using: Wool in the Woods Whisper (94% cotton, 6% nylon) doubled. It's a fun, slubby cotton that I got on sale.

    Lesson Learned This Week:
    As a grad student, I can check out books for the entire semester. That's cool.
    Second Lesson Learned This Week:
    The theme thing would work better if I knit the project while reading the book.

    Sockapaloooza
    Image hosting by Photobucket
    Because I need to knit more socks like I need a hole in my head. This is a sock swap, matches come out February 1st.

    Lesson Learned This Week:
    I'm really am a joiner.
    Second Lesson Learned This Week:
    I mean really. I'm a joiner.

    So the only question left to us is this:
    Image hosting by Photobucket
    Should I, or shouldn't I?

    10 Comments:

    Blogger Katy said...

    You should. ;)
    I have been wanting to check out some soy silk--definitely let us know how it knits up!

    1/27/2006 6:01 AM  
    Blogger Jenn said...

    Thanks for the info! Join, join join join join join join! You know you want to! :)

    1/27/2006 6:15 AM  
    Blogger Marina said...

    Yay, go for it! What's another project/KAL? At least, it has an end date.

    Love, love love the tubular cast on.

    1/27/2006 6:40 AM  
    Blogger Chris said...

    Join join join join join!

    Hey, Lynda shared an interesting bit of info - we're supposed to count all the socks we've ever knit, whether or not they have holes in them. I figure you'll have, what, 300 pairs? ;)

    1/27/2006 6:41 AM  
    Blogger Lynda said...

    I say, no join. I'm just gonna sit back and watch from the sidelines, happily knitting away, stress-free. Spectator all the way...

    1/27/2006 10:27 AM  
    Blogger Lene said...

    You should!

    1/27/2006 1:16 PM  
    Blogger Charleen said...

    My book came this week, but Am Kamin is going to have to wait a little while. What yarn are you swatching with?

    1/27/2006 9:00 PM  
    Blogger Laura said...

    What a nice gift of the Soy silk and pattern! That will be nice for San Diego.

    I have actually started Woman on the Edge of Time because I am becoming a slower reader as I become a more obsessed knitter. I'll let you know if I see an audio version.

    Thanks for the tip about Silk Garden. I can't wait to see it after a soak!

    1/28/2006 11:28 AM  
    Blogger amandazen said...

    Don't you love the fact that Grad students can check out books for the whole semester! I think that is a huge perk. I do not think that Woman on the Edge of Time was ever made into an audio book...if I see I will let you know...

    Amanda

    1/28/2006 4:17 PM  
    Blogger Kim said...

    I may pick your brain on the CiT hat--I wanted to do that one before I attempted the sweater :) Just passing through on weekly Stashalong patrol--have a great week!

    1/29/2006 7:34 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home