Monday, January 30, 2006

  • Main Page
  • Citius, Altius, Fortius

    Holding an Olympic Games means evoking history.
    -Pierre de Coubertin, responsible for the modern Olympics


    Image hosting by Photobucket

    I was thinking about it. On the fence. Demonstrating a real lack of Olympic comittment. Then I mentioned the concept to my esteemed knitting friends Leah and Katja and Team College Hill was born. Details to follow in the coming days and will all be posted on this here blog. Tomorrow you'll meet my teammates and marvel at just how great 4th year of med school can be.

    So, what are we knitting? Leah and Katja are both knitting their first ever lace projects: Ene's Scarf from Scarf Style (and since I have one, that will be our team uniform for the closing ceremonies). As for me, it's time for Am Kamin.

    That's right. I'm knitting a heavily cabled cardigan from a pattern I can't read because it's in Japanese. In 16 days. The Olympics are not about halfway, not for the faint of heart. Cituis, Altius, Fortius!

    The hat/swatch (Cascade 220, a heathered teal for those of you who were wondering) continues apace. Let's admire the tubular cast-on:
    Yeah, I'm obsessed with the macro function, but isn't it gorgeous? This is my first tubular cast on, definitely not my last. I'm in love. But it's dark and stormy out and I don't really know where all that red came from. Color is more accurate here:

    Wish us luck! The flame has already arrived in Milan, and our training has hardly begun. Buying needles and winding yarn, working around rotations in Anesthesia (Katja), Pedi ER (Leah) and History classes (Theresa - I told you 4th year was the best!), swatching, laundry, laying in a supply of chocolate and caffeine - there is much to be done!

    6 Comments:

    Blogger Lorette said...

    Good grief. That's like a decathalon project! I love your tubular cast on, too. I've never tried that, but might have to someday.

    1/30/2006 10:38 AM  
    Blogger Marina said...

    :: Speechless ::

    but, I'll be rooting for you.

    1/30/2006 10:46 AM  
    Blogger Chris said...

    Wow! You are brave.

    *boggle*

    I'm thinking there might not be a whole lot to read in blogland during the Olmpics - everyone's going to be too frantically knitting to spare time for typing!

    1/30/2006 10:47 AM  
    Blogger Marina said...

    You sure you'll be able to stay faithful to one project?

    1/30/2006 11:04 AM  
    Blogger Jenny Raye said...

    Holey Moley! You are a better woman than I! More power to ya!!!! Do you have your yarn picked out? That's what has me at a standstill on Am Kamin right now.

    1/30/2006 7:10 PM  
    Blogger Jessica said...

    Wow, that's an ambitious project. I can't wait to see your progress. I haven't even picked a yarn for it yet.

    1/31/2006 8:46 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home