Thursday, February 02, 2006

  • Main Page
  • Silent Poetry Reading: "Otherwise"

    I would define, in brief, the Poetry of words
    as the Rhymical Creation of Beauty.

    -Edgar Allen Poe

    I'm joining in the Blogger's Silent Poetry Reading, started by Grace's Poppies; I read about it at Yarn Harlot. It's a one-day only special.

    I heard this poem on Garrison's Keillor's Good Poems, my current driving companion, and its simple grace keeps coming back to me all week.

    Otherwise
    by Jane Kenyon

    I got out of bed
    on two strong legs.
    It might have been otherwise. I ate
    cereal, sweet
    milk, ripe, flawless
    peach. It might
    have been otherwise.
    I took the dog uphill
    to the birch wood.
    All morning I did
    the work I love.

    At noon I lay down
    with my mate. It might
    have been otherwise.
    We ate dinner together
    at a table with silver
    candlesticks. It might
    have been otherwise.
    I slept in a bed
    in a room with paintings
    on the walls, and
    planned another day
    just like this day.
    But one day, I know,
    it will be otherwise.

    The photo is reason #437 I'm glad that, today, it is not otherwise. In the Navy, even annoying paperwork has a fun drive and a great view: Newport Pell Bridge, Narragansett Bay.

    3 Comments:

    Blogger Lynda said...

    Loved it! Thanks!

    2/02/2006 10:27 AM  
    Blogger Chris said...

    Wonderul poem - thanks for sharing!

    2/02/2006 1:09 PM  
    Blogger Carrie K said...

    That poem put a lump in my throat. Thank you for sharing it.

    2/02/2006 2:40 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home