Wednesday, January 03, 2007

  • Main Page
  • Out with the Old

    Sometimes it is the only worthwhile product
    you can salvage from a day: what you make to eat. . . .
    Cooking, therefore, can keep a person who tries sane.

    -John Irving

    Today is a momentous day - I actually cooked dinner for the first time in at least, oh, a month. Unless, of course, you count Cheerios or grilled cheese cooking. In all fairness, I did get to eat fabulous home-cooked meals courtesy of the beau's mother when they were in town. Still, it's been mostly hospital cafeterias recently. So in honor of this, and of the new year, and of the fact that I received a great package (see below) recently, here's a tribute to kitchen knitting (and crochet).

    Felted Mitt and Trivet
    Pattern: from Felted Knits by Bev Galeskas
    Yarn: Cross a line off the spreadsheet! This is 100g of a bulky purple wool I bought in Canada about, oh, 5 years ago and some leftover Lamb's Pride Bulky I had lying around. They felted at different rates, but ultimately I got them to the same size
    Needles: US 13s
    Notes: I am rather delinquent in posting this, as it was the project I started in my sixth month of internship - per the plan - (and now we're rather close to finishing the seventh), but it's a great, fun, quick project. Perfect for knitting while studying. I made zero alterations.
    Best Thing About This Project: They actually work. I baked cookies (baking is different than cooking) and my hands were safe!

    And now I that I've blogged the old, I can thematically link it to a new awesome gift I received: JayJay sent me these fabulous crocheted potholders. You can't see in the photo, but the center is actually two squares then crocheted together with the scalloped edging. Awesome. In cotton I can only presume is Sugar and Cream, and wonderful patriotic colors. I had admired the ones she'd made herself and her brother. Looks like she got the hint . . . Maybe now that I've received them, she'll give us more details on her blog. (And if you haven't, go check out her blog. JayJay is a crafter extraordinaire. Instead of the Knitting Olympics, she was talking about the Ironcraft Triathalon. She does not mess around. Plus, if you become her friend, maybe she'll make you potholders. Hey - it could happen.)

    10 Comments:

    Blogger Jenn said...

    It really is so nice to receive useful things - we were lucky enough to receive some crocheted dishcloths for Christmas - you can never have too many!

    1/04/2007 4:36 AM  
    Blogger Elizabeth said...

    Glad to see that you're using the knitted items! I finished a pair of socks on Monday, and wore them yesterday. What number sock are you working on now?

    1/04/2007 5:15 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I really like the felted mitt and trivet! And yay for crossing items off lists (or spreadsheets, as it were)!

    1/04/2007 6:25 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Your felted mitt and trivet turned out great! Glad to hear they work well. I gave mine away as a gift and didn't try them out. Need to make a set for myself.

    1/04/2007 7:46 AM  
    Blogger JayJay said...

    I'm so glad you like them! I will post details on my blog soon.

    Yours look so elegant! I may have to try those patterns, particularly the oven mitt.

    1/04/2007 11:36 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Always nice to get those treats in the mail!

    1/04/2007 3:27 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    JayJay's potholders will also make great Fourth of July trivets. They look great! And I have no trouble believing that your felted ones are functional -- they looks so substantial. Hooray for a knitting-bedecked kitchen!

    1/04/2007 6:24 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I love the mitt and the trivel... I'll need to make a set for my new kitchen!

    1/04/2007 7:59 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    The potholder mitt is v. practical and cute. And the crocheted potholders?! OMG! I want some!

    1/06/2007 4:46 AM  
    Blogger Abigail said...

    The memories is great yarn but don't let your honey wash them. My hubby did and they got felted:(

    Leave them at you house...lol

    1/06/2007 10:11 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home