Thursday, January 25, 2007

  • Main Page
  • Riding the Rails

    I knew I was going to take the wrong train, so I left early.
    -Yogi Berra

    Thanks for all your interest in my closet cleaning. It looks like all three have found homes, two of them with people I know (if I adjust the sleeves of the sweater for my mom). . . go figure. At any rate, I've been knitting.

    Again, I tell you how amazing it is to actually knit. It turns out that you can make real progress. And even finish things. The fact that these socks were a Christmas/December birthday present? Totally irrelevant to my post-UFO Resurrection Life. Seriously.

    The Railway Stitch Socks
    Pattern: from Nancy Bush's Knitting Vintage Socks
    Yarn: KnitPicks Essentials in heathered ash and grass, recycled from the damned argyles
    Needles: bamboo dpns, US1
    Notes: 1) Knit exactly as written, except approximately 1 inch longer. 2) I'm just under the wire for the Knitting Vintage Socks Knitalong January Challenge. Look at that - knitting well with others! 3) I cut and grafted the toe to make one foot long enough. Exciting death-defying photos to follow.
    Best Thing About This Project: The lucky recipient (a friend of mine from college) has been known to send me random text messages on rainy days about how much he loves handknit socks. People who do this find themselves the lucky recipients of many pairs of handknit socks.

    Labels:

    11 Comments:

    Blogger Sarah said...

    People who repeatedly talk about how much they love handknit socks deserve handknit socks! (Everyone else just gets an offer of knitting lessons!) Those socks are really cute -- it's good to know they are going to someone deserving!

    1/25/2007 10:04 PM  
    Blogger reluctantMANGO said...

    It's so nice to have someone appreciate your handiwork! These socks look so comfy and warm, just perfect for a rainy day... your friend's a lucky guy!

    1/26/2007 3:24 AM  
    Blogger Jenn said...

    They look great - I love the green and grey contrast. Congrats on another FO!

    1/26/2007 5:25 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I love the Railways - such a handsome sock. My husband is wanting another pair of "hockey coaching" socks - I'm thinking of these.
    I bet your friend is going to be happy he sent you those messages!

    1/26/2007 5:48 AM  
    Blogger margene said...

    Very, very handsome socks!!

    1/26/2007 7:09 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Nice - and that level of appreciation sures helps one make it to the knitworthy list. My UFO's are more of the mending/knit new toes on old socks type. Ick.

    1/26/2007 7:19 AM  
    Blogger Leah said...

    Lovely! And it's always good to know that the person who gets them is truly appreciative.

    1/26/2007 10:10 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I wish someone would text me about secret sock desires. :) They'd have a pair so fast! This is the first I've heard of that knit along. Sounds like fun!

    1/26/2007 7:32 PM  
    Blogger Elinor said...

    That's great! I need texting sock recipients!!! That pair is next on my list. I even have the yarn already! Yours look great - definitely worth the grafting effort!

    1/27/2007 10:19 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Heck yeah, they do. It should be wildly encouraged. Nice socks! I'm going to have to cave and pick up that book too.

    1/27/2007 4:01 PM  
    Blogger Kim said...

    I'd be willing to text message anybody about hand-knit socks if it meant that some would appear in my mailbox! I'm just sayin'....

    1/29/2007 11:21 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home