Monday, February 26, 2007

  • Main Page
  • Weather or Not

    We all grumble about the weather
    but--but--but nothing is done about it.
    -Mark Twain

    You know that I've grumbled a bit about the weather in San Diego. It's always sunny. No variety. Who wants to be in a place where it's always nice? I have to say, though, that in the last two days while my parents are buried in ice and the beau's parents are buried in snow, I've both gone Rollerblading around the bay and - AND - gone swimming. Outside. I think I'm beginning to appreciate this.

    And in other San Diego travel news, we headed up into the mountains over the weekend. Beautiful - see above. It was extra-beautiful because we took the scenic route (Yes, I was navigating. Why do you ask?). Ultimately, though, we did reach our destination: Palomar Observatory. It was excellent for so many reasons. Not the least of which was this:
    SNOW! Yes, that is an actual snow man. Made of snow. With acorns for buttons. And with Rowena. He tried to help me out. See how nicely it's coming along? After the fun of the ruffle, the stockinette stitch is so soothing. And I'm loving the KnitPicks Ambrosia. I don't know how it wears long-term, but it is lovely to knit. Rowena was just the thing for those windy mountain rows. I did knit a few rounds of the New England Sock (which I WILL finish by the end of the February), but looking down was not recommended.

    There wasn't much in the way of snow, but plenty of people were trying to sled anyway. I had no idea what we were getting into, weather-wise, since I've never really believed my mom when she told me it was snowing in San Diego. Doesn't it just figure that I wasn't wearing any handknit socks that day? It was a sneaker kind of day . . until the snow.

    And speaking of handknit socks, thank you for all your sympathy on the last post. Those socks are five years old, made of $2 of wool remnants, and have been darned on 3 separate occasions, the yarn has been mildly felted, and they are just done. Good socks probably deserve a good retirement.

    Labels: , ,

    11 Comments:

    Blogger Tracy Batchelder said...

    You live in a beautiful place! I really enjoyed these pictures.

    2/27/2007 6:26 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    what beautiful photographs!

    And the snowman made me smile. I haven't even seen one here in the mountains yet this winter. It's nice to know you got a little snow "fix" even out there in california!

    2/27/2007 7:00 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Gorgeous pictures. You know, if you were in New England right now, you might find yourself a tad bit sick of the snow...we haven't gotten that much this winter, but it was still bothersome having to get to work in the white stuff.

    2/27/2007 7:12 AM  
    Blogger JayJay said...

    You always seem to visit the most beautiful places! We are adjusting quite well to the weather here, and watching the weather channel has cured us of any lack-of-season complaints. No shoveling for us, yay!

    I love the look of your Rowena in the ambrosia! I may have to pick some up myself.

    2/27/2007 10:26 AM  
    Blogger Jenn said...

    Glad you got to see a bit of snow! And Rowena looks great - I love that pink.
    Perhaps a memorial service for the socks is in order? :)

    2/27/2007 1:13 PM  
    Blogger Kim said...

    This is the time of year when Californians appreciate their weather, compared to brethren elsewhere. =) Welcome to CA!

    2/27/2007 2:48 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I like the idea of a formal sock retirement. Maybe we set them alight and push them out to sea?

    Sorry you missed one of your rare chances to get some good wool-sock-wearing in!

    2/27/2007 5:08 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I am watching the winter storm warnings here in MN, and normally would be glad for them. Especially after this mostly snow free winter. But, I'm supposed to be flying to DC tomorrow morning and don't want to be trapped at the airport! It is hard to retire socks, sin't it? Even after reknitting toes, and darning heels, sometimes, we have to let them go. Sniff..

    2/28/2007 4:39 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    That first picture is like an Old Master painting! Honestly. So jealous.

    I'm coming to CA in May for a belly dance thing...Sebastopol. Dunno if that's reasonable traveling distance from you?

    2/28/2007 8:45 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I guess it was supposed to snow quite a bit last night (Tuesday) up there as well... definitely add a trip to Julian to your list of things to do while it still on the chilly side :)

    2/28/2007 12:44 PM  
    Blogger knitseashore said...

    Theresa, I'm so envious of your wonderful weather there!! I'd move in a minute to be able to ride my bike outside all year long. We've only had two snowstorms this year (unusual for New England), but it is too many. I would love that constant sunshine. :)

    I'm sorry to hear about your sock. It looks like retirement is in order.

    2/28/2007 1:08 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home