Monday, March 06, 2006

  • Main Page
  • Winter Follies, Spring Flings

    A little madness in the Spring
    Is wholesome even for the King.
    -Emily Dickinson

    Ladies and Gentlemen, Boys and Girls, without further ado, please put your hands together for the lovely, the talented, the incomparable Winter Folly:This is Winter Folly's debut into cyberspace as a completely finished sweater, but through no fault of my own. She is a busy sweater, difficult to pin down to a single location long enough to snap some photographs. She looks great with jeans, khakis, and gray trousers, is appropriate for every situation from casual to dressy, and appears to be suited to a wide range of temperatures. Her alpaca-ness is soft and warm, but her 3/4 sleeves and laciness make sure she doesn't get overheated under the bright lights of stardom. In short, ladies and gentlemen, this is a sweater that can - and does - go everywhere and do anything.

    Winter Folly
    Pattern: #2 from Vogue Knitting Fall 2004
    Yarn: Classic Elite Inca Alpaca, 7 1/2 skeins for 37" size
    Needles: Brittany Birch US 5s, and, briefly, Lantern Moon US 5s (remember the tragedy?)
    Notes: The pattern is a disaster. Knits and purls are reversed on the chart - with no errata posted! The number of rows in the pattern repeats are 10, 16, and 18 - if I were writing a knitting pattern, they would line up better for ease of knitting, as I don't think the appearance is much affected. I posted about my frustrations with the pattern here and here, and others have told me that many Vogue patterns are similiarly nonsensical.
    Best Thing About This Project: As my sister put it when convincing me to move it to the top of my list, this sweater is so "me." And it is.

    16 Comments:

    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    OH MY GOSH! Absolutely gorgeous! And absolutely YOU!

    You are so inspiring! Great pics!

    3/06/2006 6:10 AM  
    Blogger Liz K. said...

    Great FO. It looks beautiful!

    3/06/2006 6:11 AM  
    Blogger Marina said...

    Lovely! Hmm, maybe I should get a subscription for Vogue.

    3/06/2006 6:21 AM  
    Blogger Lynda said...

    Beautiful! I didn't realize when you were knitting it that it was so lacy - I like that! Very feminine.

    3/06/2006 6:35 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    That turned out perfect! Alpaca is so nummy :)

    3/06/2006 6:57 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Very nice. Now you need a flesh colored camisole or a color matching one to create the illusion of nudity under her! Very feminine. Great job!

    3/06/2006 7:07 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I'm sorry!?! When did you start this?

    Absolutely gorgeous!!

    3/06/2006 7:31 AM  
    Blogger Chris said...

    It's stunning!

    3/06/2006 8:14 AM  
    Blogger Jenn said...

    Looks great! I love the lace! I was watching "stitchcraft" yesterday and they were talking to the people at vouge knitting about how they choose their designs - they pick a sweater a designer has made and then write a pattern for it - so it's not wonder they have so many mistakes! I wonder if they even test knit them!

    3/06/2006 9:03 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I absolutely love how this sweater has the beautiful cabling detail of a heavy aran but is in a delicate light weight. I have been fortunate enough to see it in person and can attest to the fact that not even these lovely pictures do it justice!

    3/06/2006 10:53 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    The sweater is beautiful, Theresa. I love that color--is it periwinkle?

    3/06/2006 9:28 PM  
    Blogger Lene said...

    Lovely sweater. The color is perfect!

    3/06/2006 10:34 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    So lovely! It looks great on you!

    3/07/2006 4:13 AM  
    Blogger Laura said...

    Wow! That is beautiful! Now aren't you glad that you decided to make it? :)

    Thanks for your nice comment on my blog, Theresa!

    3/07/2006 6:49 AM  
    Blogger Kim said...

    I love that sweater!! How do you get so much done with your schedule? Just passing through on Stashalong patrol--have a great week!

    3/07/2006 10:08 AM  
    Blogger Wendy said...

    Looks awesome! I started a cably thing from Vogue a couple of years ago, and the chart was a mess. It put me off cables, charts, etc - very bad first project.

    So far so good with my current lacy cardigan project - but that may be because there's not much shaping, etc.

    Again, fantastic performance (oh, wait . . . Olympics are over, I can stop sounding like Bob Costas!)

    Wend

    3/07/2006 12:34 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home