Thursday, March 02, 2006

  • Main Page
  • Two for My Family

    If you cannot get rid of the family skeleton, you may as well make it dance.
    -George Bernard Shaw


    Welcome back to another installment of FOs (finished objects) for documentation purposes. The birthday socks for my dad have finally arrived at my parents' (OK, OK, I finally got to the post office) safe and sound, so let's talk details.

    Birthday Socks for Dad
    Pattern: Gentleman's Fancy Socks by Nancy Bush, Knitting Vintage Socks
    Yarn: GGH Marathon sock yarn, ball band long gone
    Needles: US 1 Brittany Birch dpns
    Notes: I have a standard sock pattern in my head that I usually plug most stitch patterns into, but not Nancy Bush patterns. I learn something new in the details every time I knit one of her patterns. On this one, the wide toe actually has you grafting the last stitches together perpendicular to the floor, if that makes sense, creating a band that wraps around the toes. Looks great, and I learned something new.
    Best Thing About This Project: Warm feet for my dad, vintage style.

    I believe this is the blogging debut for the following - you can see why there wasn't much to discuss.

    Plain Jane Mittens
    Pattern: none, 36-ish stitches, ribbing, thumb gore - you know, mittens, trying them on as I go
    Yarn: random black bulky wool from stash (see that Stashalongers?)
    Needles: US 8 Brittany Birch dpns
    Notes: I call them Plain Jane mittens for a reason, but they were a special request from my sister.
    Best Thing About This Project: Keeping my sister in handknit warmth. She has a blue winter coat that is hard to match, and I made her a black feather and fan scarf a while ago. Shortly after requesting them, she bought a black coat and has started wearing it with the Cherry Blossom Shawl (Interweave Knits, Spring 2002) that I made her a few years ago. She probably won't wear the black mittens that much now, but they were already on the needles. Now she has options.

    6 Comments:

    Blogger Marina said...

    When do you sleep?

    3/02/2006 3:37 AM  
    Blogger Chris said...

    Love the Dad socks! And I second Marina's question - when DO you sleep?!

    3/02/2006 7:50 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I love the socks, hope they get a lot of wear!

    3/02/2006 10:05 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    The socks are just fabulous! I have never knit a Nancy Bush sock, but I am looking forward to it now, for the new techniques! Thanks for the info!

    3/02/2006 11:15 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Those black mittens will go with everything (except maybe a brown coat, you know what I mean). She'll wear them until they wear out. What is it about sisters that inspires us to crank out knitted gifts?

    I'm sorry to hear about your utter exhaustion. I hope you get some deep, refreshing sleep today and can return anew to your knitting this weekend. (This is assuming you are not working this weekend, which is a foolish assumption to make about a med student.)

    3/03/2006 10:41 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Lovely and thoughtful gifts for the family.

    3/04/2006 4:30 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home