Friday, March 03, 2006

  • Main Page
  • Tired

    Man was made at the end of the week's work, when God was tired.
    -Mark Twain

    I left the hospital this morning all full of vim and vigor, energetic in the morning sun, ready to come home and write the usual Friday update - all the knitting along excitement that's been going on since the Olympics.

    And then I got home, sat down, and all the tired from a week of overnight shifts in the ER caught up with me. No knitting updates today. I'm too tired to knit. I'm too tired to even think about knitting.

    For you interested medical types, however, I did an awesome lumbar puncture last night - a thing of beauty, straight in, right on the first try - not my first, but definitely my best.

    For anyone interested, if your only injury is getting hid in the head with an ice cube, please take pity and don't come to the ER. Thanks.

    Your regular knitting updates will resume after some sleep, because there actually is much knitting goodness these days, including some new stuff.

    9 Comments:

    Blogger Chris said...

    Sleep well! It's sort of nice to find out that you're human and you DO get tired. ;)

    3/03/2006 7:58 AM  
    Blogger Lynda said...

    Good job on the LP! I used to work in a neurologist's office, where they did about one LP a year, so weren't all that great at it, and I used to have to be the one holding the patient's hand while they were tortured... when I had my c-section the thing that scared me the most was getting the epidural - but you know, get someone who knows what they're doing and it's a piece of cake!

    Take a long nap, then knit!

    3/03/2006 8:05 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I was wondering how you were keeping up that pace!

    Looking forward to your knitting updates.

    Oh, and the only thing worse that an er visit for getting hit in the head with an ice cube, is waiting a week, then coming in for getting hit in the head with an ice cube!

    Congrats on the LP. My first was on a neonate. Zero blood! Score! Wish they all went like that!

    3/03/2006 10:38 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Oooh, an LP, huh? I have not done one yet, but I dread them a little bit. Hopefully I'll learn soon and then be okay with it! Congrats!

    3/03/2006 1:03 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Congrats on the LP (whatever that is and really - I don't want to know - lol).

    Too funny - hit in the head with an ice cube - waaa,waaa, waaa!

    Sleep, update, we love you, we'll wait.

    3/03/2006 3:07 PM  
    Blogger Jocele said...

    I know exactly what you mean about the LP. It's great when whatever procedure you're doing goes perfect. It's like you want to give yourself a high five or something. Enjoy the weekend.

    3/03/2006 4:54 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Just remember there are always your friendly anesthesiologists over in the OR who can do a blood patch for the post-dural puncture headache if need be! LOL I know, because I am one of those anesthesiologists who almost exclusively do blood patches on the ED and radiology post-LP patients!

    Knit your stress away after a power nap...

    3/03/2006 5:33 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Anything you do routinely becomes easier. You have the moves down if you can do it like that.

    My worst ER case? 3am. Guy came in complaining of a mass in his chest. Noticed it about a week ago. Right midline, under his ribs. Very hard. Small. Yes. Xiphoid process. Three fucking a.m.

    3/04/2006 3:28 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Get some sleep girl!

    3/04/2006 4:27 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home