Tuesday, April 10, 2007

  • Main Page
  • Manly Socks

    I don't have a photograph, but you can have my footprint.
    They're upstairs in my socks.
    -Groucho Marx

    Thanks for all your patience with waiting for the results of the Manly Socks contest. It took me so long to compile the list that I've actually already started my next pair of manly socks. I'll hold you in suspense on those just a little longer. In the meantime, here are all the great suggestions:

    Yarns:

    The Clear Winner With 15 Votes:
    • Trekking, Trekking, Trekking

    Second Place With 6 Votes:

    Third Place(s) With 2-6 Votes:

    • Opal
    • Socks That Rock
    • Regia
    • Jawoll
    • Online Supersocke
    • Austermann Step

    And with one vote each:


    Patterns:

    Most Commonly Mentioned:

    • "just plain rib"
    • "plain vanilla"
    • "nice wide rib"
    • stockinette stitch
    • "anything simple ribbing"
    • "good old traditional top down, heel flap"

    Actual Patterns Mentioned More Than Once:

    Other Patterns:

    "Nancy Bush all the way:"

    • Gentleman's Plain Winter Socks (made here for the beau!)
    • Gentlemen's Half Hose from Knitting Vintage Socks
    • Conway from Knitting on the Road
    • Chalet Socks from Folk Socks
    • Madder Rib Socks from Knitting Vintage Socks


    The Winners:

    • Donna - She was the first to suggest the pattern I chose to knit first (shhh . . . it's a surprise!)
    • Stuntmother - Because she just listed so many nice socks and yarn. Plus she's been making beautiful socks lately. Go visit Two Sharp Sticks.

    Congratulations to all - now we have a great list of manly socks to knit! And the winners should email me their addresses to collect their prizes. And for the rest of you, stay tuned to see what the beau is getting next.

    Labels: , ,

    7 Comments:

    Blogger Tracy Batchelder said...

    Can't wait to see what you picked.

    4/10/2007 6:17 AM  
    Blogger miss ewe said...

    Thanks for the compendium! There are some great links here, and I'm on a bit of a sock jag myself!

    4/10/2007 7:08 AM  
    Blogger Kim said...

    Hmmm...I didn't know it was a voting contest. I'd have gone with the crowd. ;)

    4/10/2007 11:24 AM  
    Blogger JayJay said...

    Wow, sounds like you got a lot of good suggestions! Congrats to the winners!

    4/10/2007 4:32 PM  
    Blogger Violiknit said...

    Wow, this is a great resource for manly socks! Thanks for listing all the info!

    4/11/2007 8:47 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Ah, how exciting! You'll love the pattern - it's great ;) I have a huge crush on the designer; if I ever meet them in person I'm going to be speechless with admiration.

    4/11/2007 9:03 AM  
    Blogger Francesca said...

    Oh I'm deeply deeply excited! My life is about as far as you can get right now from cheerful sock yarn so this is a wonderful wonderful treat. Plus, it's my husband's birthday today and I already threatened to buy him sock yarn for his birthday (he got a guitar case) and so instead -- I will give him the promise of truly manly socks.

    Just a perfect moment. Thank you.

    4/11/2007 9:41 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home