Monday, April 02, 2007

  • Main Page
  • A Little Sunshine

    Babies are such a nice way to start people.
    -Don Herold

    Instead of adding yet another one to my UFO pile, I buckled down and tackled the challenging finishing on this baby sweater. And by challenging, I mean I had to find the absolute cutest possible button to go with my bright orange sweater cape.

    Think I succeeded?

    Baby Hooded Jacket
    Pattern: Debbie Bliss' Simply Baby
    Yarn: Cotton-Ease (the vintage, or "old" kind) in something they didn't actually call orange but very obviously is
    Needles: US 7s . . . I think. Who needs gauge in a baby sweater?
    Notes: Well, see below for thoughts on finishing, and my very particular ideas of just how much finishing a baby garment should require. Otherwise, I also had to tighten up the buttonhole a little to fit my smaller button. But it was a fast and fun pattern. Just make it in fewer pieces, that's all. Oh, and this was entirely made from stash - including the button!
    Best Thing About This Project: To come, obviously. The best thing about baby knits is the baby.

    Also in finishing news, I wised up after this episode and started reading ahead in the directions. Instead of binding off and picking up stitches for the hood, I just increased. Instead of doing a three-needle bind-off for the hood, I grafted the top together. Looks better, and was probably way faster.And, no, I haven't forgotten about the manly socks. I was trying to distract you by cute baby knits while I'm in recovery mode after the ICU. It's coming.

    Labels: , ,

    19 Comments:

    Blogger Kim said...

    Oh, we both finished baby sweaters this weekend. I love your buttons. After my fruitless search for buttons I've decided (with the sweetie's blessing, no less) that I can have a button stash. And then I discovered one of my local shops (which was closed when I did the initial search) does have a bunch of cute buttons, and a 10/$1 bucket as well.

    4/02/2007 12:31 PM  
    Blogger JayJay said...

    Wow, that looks fantastic! I especially love the button, but I have to say your finishing looks lovely.

    I just started a hat for some friends who just had a little boy, and it was nice to say "gauge, what gauge?" for a change.

    4/02/2007 12:55 PM  
    Blogger Disentangled said...

    That will be one cute baby! I like the hood grafting idea a lot...too bad I just finished 3-needling my hoodie hood. :-(

    4/02/2007 1:43 PM  
    Blogger Jenn said...

    Excellent button - perfect for the sweater. I grafted the hood on my Central Park Hoodie and I enjoyed it (though it was miles longer than a sock toe!). Yay for finishing!

    4/02/2007 4:26 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    OMG, this is adorable! I love everything about it! So cute. :)

    4/02/2007 4:36 PM  
    Blogger Violiknit said...

    It's soooo cute! I love the color, too!

    4/02/2007 5:21 PM  
    Blogger knitzalot said...

    SO. CUTE.

    4/02/2007 7:17 PM  
    Blogger Kristy said...

    That's so cute! You did a great job with your finishing, and the button is perfect.

    4/02/2007 7:17 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    That is so sweet. Love the orange and love the button!

    4/02/2007 8:04 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    What could be cuter than a baby in an orange hoodie? Perfect button. And the grated hood is better than a 3-needle bin off, I think. I'm with you re. finishing on baby sweaters. Mimimal.

    4/02/2007 8:07 PM  
    Blogger Lorette said...

    Very cute! Nice grafting job. I've just finished a Cotton Ease baby sweater, too. It must be something in the water.

    4/02/2007 8:27 PM  
    Blogger Leah said...

    The perfect button for the perfect baby sweater! Great job Theresa!

    4/02/2007 9:27 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    That is the best button for the little cape, I love it. Orange? Come on, that is surely more tangerine, right?!

    4/02/2007 9:50 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Orange is the way to go - it's adorable!

    4/03/2007 3:39 AM  
    Blogger Tracy Batchelder said...

    Cotton-ease is a good choice for baby clothes--easy care and nice to work with too. Great little button. This is sure to become one of mom's favorites for baby.

    4/03/2007 6:26 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I'd say you succeeded quite nicely! What a cheery little baby sweater. I may have to get myself a copy of that book.

    4/03/2007 4:59 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    VERY cute - perfect button

    4/04/2007 7:03 AM  
    Blogger Debra said...

    Nice quote!

    4/05/2007 8:07 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Great jacket! Love the button :)

    4/06/2007 6:01 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home