Wednesday, March 28, 2007

  • Main Page
  • Add Another to the Pile

    There are two kinds of people; those who finish what they start, and so on.
    -Robert Byrne

    Just as I've been making such good progress on my pile of UFOs (yet again, three cheers for the UFO Resurrection!), here I go, adding another one to the pile. I went and finished the knitting for the very cool Humbug Pillow from Debbie Bliss' Home book. It kept me occupied for months (see how big it is?), but in a peripheral way. It was my easy email-reading knitting - just a big rectangle with a simple garter rib pattern. And in order to make this rectangle into its final pyramidal shape, all I need to do with this rectangle is sew two seams. Sounds easy-peasy, right? I'm sure it is. The hold-up is that I also need to construct the inside pillow if I have any hope of this ever having any structure whatsoever. And I do. Have hope, that is. But the inside pillow needs at least two (relatively) straight lines sewn on cloth before I can stuff it. Have the cloth, even have the stuffing. What I haven't figured out how to do is make a bobbin on my sewing machine. The time is definitely coming. Soon-ish. But not before the end of March soon-ish. In the meantime? Here's one more for the UFO pile. While we stick it there, we can at least admire the delightful cottony goodness of the garter rib, can we not? Thanks for all the great entries to the contest. I didn't put an ending on it, but it looks like I'll have some time on Friday to sift through the entries and compile and list of all the great patterns and suggestions . . . and pick some winners. So muster your best manly sock suggestions and head on over.

    Labels: ,

    11 Comments:

    Blogger Tracy Batchelder said...

    Have you thought of just buying a ready made pillow form? Of course, they only come in a couple of sizes, so it all depends on if this is a standard size pillow or not. Love the garter rib stitch!

    3/28/2007 6:51 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hmm, what kind of machine do you have? I really like the easy, non-thinking projects that can be done whilst doing something else. I need another one of those, but then I would truly be the "starting, but non-finishing" type or person I struggle with not being.

    3/28/2007 7:18 AM  
    Blogger JayJay said...

    I imagine this pillow is a nonstandard size (which is what also makes it really cool), so a purchased pillow form won't work. It shouldn't take too long to fill a bobbin for your sewing machine. If you want to bring your machine instructions when you visit (hint, hint), I may be able to help you out. :)

    I've worn the cabled tank a couple times already and keep getting complements. Apparently, you're knitting skills rock!

    3/28/2007 9:34 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I would be more than happy to lend you a hand with the machine if you need it :)

    3/28/2007 2:03 PM  
    Blogger Jenn said...

    I miss my machine. But I can't tear myself away from the yarn! Can't wait to see the finished pillow - whenever it is finished!

    3/28/2007 4:00 PM  
    Blogger Elinor said...

    OK, how exactly do you knit and read email? Don't you need to use the mouse or hit buttons to move the screen? I need to learn this skill...

    3/28/2007 8:09 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Love the pillow. So cool!

    3/28/2007 10:19 PM  
    Blogger Janet said...

    i'm a classic non-finisher too. i got a sewing machine for christmas, and it's still sitting in it's box in my living room where i've been pretending that it doesn't exist (so i have an excuse not to finish everything that needs to be sewn)!

    I love the design of the pillow, though, and it will be lovely when it's finished!

    3/29/2007 9:06 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hmm. You're sure a pre-made pillow wouldn't work? Or that you couldn't just sew it up and stuff the stuffing right into the knitting? And this "good enough" attitude is exactly why all my craft projects turn out only so-so.

    3/29/2007 5:48 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Filling a bobbin is easy. That pillow is going to look great! The color and the pattern are really pretty.

    3/30/2007 1:09 PM  
    Blogger Alisha said...

    The bobbin filling is easier then you think....go for it and get that great looking pillow some action!!! Love the color!!

    4/01/2007 4:01 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home