Saturday, April 28, 2007

  • Main Page
  • Random Saturday

    In common things that round us lie
    Some random truths he can impart, --
    The harvest of a quiet eye
    That broods and sleeps on his own heart.
    -William Wordsworth


    Welcome to Random Saturday! (Seals on the beach in La Jolla)


    1. First off, if I owe you an email (and if you're reading my blog, I probably owe you an email), it's coming. It's been a crazy four or so days at work, so hang tight.

    2. Alas, no knitting photos. See #1 above.

    3. Rowena is 80% done? Inquiring minds want to know. Yes, indeed. Maybe even more at this stage. I realize it's just been off the blog radar, but it's kind of incredible how all that stockinette just seems to knit itself. Posts coming soon about the joy of ruffles and also changes I made to the decreases.


    4. Ribby Cardi - Bonne Marie emailed me some helpful hints, one of which was that I had an older version of the pattern and that the new version has a deeper raglan. As a bonus, she sent me a copy of the new version of the pattern. I owe her an email, too (of course), but I'm very impressed with her diligence and unsolicited (but very welcome) pattern support.


    5. This is good because I'm now dying to make Ariann. Have you seen Cara's version?


    6. And about starting Ariann, should I make it in Cotton Ease or Cascade 220? I have some lovely (old-style) blue Cotton Ease in the stash, and it might be lovely for San Diego. But I think I may have enough Red Cascade 220 in the stash. Decisions, decisions.


    7. The Chuppah border is coming along swimmingly. We had a day of lectures on Navy-specific medical stuff, which was a solid five hours of knitting (before we had to run our Physical Readiness Test . . . only in the Navy). I'm now half-way down one side, and there is an anticipated 50-60 hours of knitting on it left. Should be done by early June for an early July wedding. And looking lovely, I might add.
    8. And I did get a Webs order the other day. I'm thinking Regia Silk for my Hogwarts Swap Partner. There was a sale, after all.

    Labels: , , , , , ,

    12 Comments:

    Blogger Jessica said...

    I've been thinking about doing Ariann in the old light blue CE. I just can't make up my mind.

    4/28/2007 9:37 AM  
    Blogger Elinor said...

    I love the seals! I'd really like to Make Ariann this summer. I think you'd be crazy to knit it in wool for life in SD. I would get so hot. How long are you there for, anyhow? Must plan knitting for the long term, I guess.

    4/28/2007 9:45 AM  
    Blogger Liz K. said...

    Nothing beats Cascade 220 as far as I'm concered, but cotton might be best for your climate. You've been there for a winter - how much wear do you think you'll get?

    What about Cascade Sierra? With the bit of wool, it might keep it from stretching?

    No affiliation with Cascade, I swear!

    4/28/2007 12:33 PM  
    Blogger Jenn said...

    I love Ariann - I think it would look really pretty in red, but you might get more use out of cotton. Although, there will be all these trips to visit parents and in-laws when you could wear it!

    4/28/2007 4:33 PM  
    Blogger Rebecca said...

    And, hopefully, those seals are sunbathing and not deceased! I thought they were dead fish at first. Arianne is BEAUTIFUL! It calls for worsted weight? It would be lovely in that red Cascade 220.

    4/28/2007 5:14 PM  
    Blogger shelly d said...

    I too like the Arianne. Such a versatile sweater...Go with the cotton.

    4/29/2007 6:48 AM  
    Blogger Hege said...

    Beautiful picture of the seals! How lucky you are to be standing on the La Jolla pier and seeing such a spectacular sight!

    4/29/2007 10:09 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I'm with Rebecca -- I want to know if those are happy seals or unhappily beached seals? I hope the former. I think you would have said something if it were the latter.

    Congrats on all that chuppah progress! How are you planning on blocking something that huge?

    4/29/2007 12:44 PM  
    Blogger Lorette said...

    How about one each, one in Cotton Ease, one in Cascade 220!

    4/30/2007 6:56 AM  
    Blogger Tracy Batchelder said...

    I'm glad you labeled the seal picture. Not knowing the scale, I first thought they were dead fish washed up on the shore. Of course, now I can clearly see they are seals and lots of them. Awesome!

    4/30/2007 7:00 AM  
    Blogger margene said...

    Bonne Marie is super! She changed the pattern after I had issue with my broad shoulders. She rocks! Great job of shopping;-)

    4/30/2007 11:46 AM  
    Blogger JayJay said...

    Rest assured, the seals are just sunning themselves! They are indeed happy seals (I teach animals behavior, so I have some knowledge to back that up). By summer they will spend more of the day in the water.

    Arianne is lovely! I would probably go with the cotton, just to assure that you cold wear it more. Plus, you already have quite a few wool sweaters. However, red would look nice. ;)

    4/30/2007 6:16 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home