Tuesday, April 24, 2007

  • Main Page
  • Focus on the Zipper

    It is a bad plan that admits no modification.
    -Publius Syrius

    Talking about Ribby Cardi -

    Let's start with the positive. You've all correctly identified all the things I love about this sweater:

    - The zipper. I did do a fabulous job, if I say so myself.
    - The colors. Aren't they cute?
    - Cascade 220. A great yarn.
    - The pattern. It's just so functional. . . . if it fit.

    But you've also helped me figure out what's wrong:
    - It's the raglan shape. It's too steep and probably not long enough. This leads to the sleeves being too short (pulled up too high) and the neck being too open (not enough raglan).
    - The sleeves are too tight across the upper arm and shoulders. I'm not the only one with this problem.
    - Is it gauge? Specifically, row gauge? Nope, seems to be pretty dead on. (For once.)

    It seems like I'm not the only one with fit issues. It's a close-fitting sweater with good schematics (three cheers for good schematics in patterns!), but somehow several of us have had issues with the sizing. And mostly across the raglan/arms/shoulders.

    Possible contributing factors:
    - None of us can measure. Ourselves or our knitting.
    - Gauge lies. And row gauge is big in raglans.
    - We aren't very good at accounting for the ribbing and how it would stretch out and then shorter (make sense?).
    - If, like me, you were measuring off a store-bought ribbed sweater, you didn't take into account that worsted weight and fingering weight need different amounts of ease.

    Possible answer:
    - Bonne Marie herself emailed me offering suggestions. How fabulous is that? I'll let you know what she says.

    And there's one thing you couldn't have known:

    - I'll have to use her advice for my next Ribby Cardi. Why? In an attempt to block it out more, I also used it as a trial run for the handwash function on my front-loading washer. Let's just say that it turns out to not be an actual handwash function.

    (See the fuzziness at left? Now it's really too small across the shoulders.) Anyone else worry that this is passive aggressive behavior on my part? Might be. But I'll be back tomorrow with the solution to our problems. And then I just might be starting a new Ribby Cardi once I know how to make it right.

    Labels: ,

    9 Comments:

    Blogger Elinor said...

    Good information to know about Ribby. I've considered making one but I need a long road/plane trip to get all that ribbing and stockinette done. :-) Yours looks great, even though you say the sleeves are too short. They don't look too short in the picture but I'll take your word for it. ;-)

    4/24/2007 8:52 AM  
    Blogger Liz said...

    I'm looking forward to hearing what sorts of modifications you (and the designer, obviously) come up with. I will definitely use the knowledge when it comes time to knit mine. Thanks!

    4/24/2007 9:04 AM  
    Blogger JayJay said...

    Eek! Sorry to hear about the "handwash" function. I will keep that in mind. I hope you are able to salvage it somehow, especially after your extraordinarily skilled zipper installation.

    4/24/2007 9:24 AM  
    Blogger WandaWoman said...

    Whoa dang! That's too bad about the sweater. At least you'll know what to do next time on the sweater, I guess.

    4/24/2007 10:40 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    What, your machine didn't "handwash" your sweater?!! Huh. I would be very interested to hear the modifications that Bonne Marie offers, keep us informed!

    4/24/2007 11:08 AM  
    Blogger Pam said...

    So now you can have some "Ribby hot pads" or perhaps make a "ribby tote bag" -- but then again, I don't know if I could do that myself, if I'd done such a fine job on the zipper. Any tiny friends?

    Thanks for sharing your knitting struggles as well as successes.

    4/24/2007 11:29 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Ouch, stupid hand-washing feature. I once felted a superwash wool sweater on the hand-wash setting. You can't trust anyone.

    On the plus side, it sounds as though you will be well prepared to execute a perfect Ribby Cardi next time around!

    4/24/2007 12:51 PM  
    Blogger Jenn said...

    Can't wait to hear what Bonne Marie says - she did help me choose the colors for my ribby after all! (Well, and there's that whole she designed the pattern thing.) Sucks about the washer.

    4/24/2007 3:38 PM  
    Blogger reluctantMANGO said...

    BAD washer! I hope Bonne Marie has some good suggestions for you... she answered some questions about the Cece pattern for me, and was very helpful and super nice!

    4/24/2007 5:55 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home