Wednesday, October 24, 2007

  • Main Page
  • Give Me a Good Blizzard

    Heat cannot be separated from fire, or beauty from the Eternal.
    -Dante

    Some natural disasters are good for knitting. Think blizzards, or even big snowstorms. (Lucky ADD Knitter - she got snowed into Aspen!) Even a good thunderstorm, plus or minus a power outage, to make knitting by candlelight romantic and appealing.

    Unfortunately, San Diego has none of those disasters. Instead, we get these wildfires. Acres and acres, many homes, evacuations all over the place, closed roads, and horrible smoke and ash everywhere else. Plus it's 90 degrees with 8 percent humdity, thanks to the Santa Ana winds that are fueling the fires.(And, yes, the only time I'm ever out in the daylight is dawn. Why do you ask?)

    I have managed to get some knitting done in the interim, but no photos yet. Our hospital got a bunch of evacuees from another hospital, so it's been busy. Since I've been tasked a night shift tomorrow, I'm hoping to get nice daylight photos tomorrow. Hopefully the skies will clear and it'll be sunny and not smokey.

    Labels: ,

    6 Comments:

    Blogger sloth-knits said...

    Hi, my thoughts are with you guys. I hope conditions improve soon!

    10/24/2007 11:49 PM  
    Blogger Rebecca said...

    Prayers heading your way. Stay safe! I have to deal with blizzards AND forest fires every year. I'm with YOU - I will take a BLIZZARD any day.

    10/25/2007 6:06 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Good to hear from you. I've been wondering how you're doing down there. Take care, Theresa.

    The only good thing about the fires... our power went out for about an hour and my first thought was, "yea! I can't work, I'll knit!"

    10/25/2007 7:09 AM  
    Blogger Jenny Raye said...

    My brother is in Malibu. My thoughts and prayers are with you all.

    10/25/2007 12:58 PM  
    Blogger Kate Diamond said...

    I, too, am thinking of the folks in San Diego. Here's hoping you're able to thrive... and help others dealing with the fires.

    I am also desperately trying to avoid saying granola-crunchy things about global warming. It is hard, people. Hard.

    10/26/2007 8:21 AM  
    Blogger JayJay said...

    Hey Theresa, I got your phone message, but my voice mail doesn't record the phone number and your number seems to have changed. If you have a free moment, please call again soon!

    Sorry to see you were affected by all this too. It has not been good week here in SoCal. :(

    10/26/2007 5:15 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home