Tuesday, October 09, 2007

  • Main Page
  • Startitis Strikes Again

    Half our life is spent trying to find something to do
    with the time we have rushed through life trying to save.
    -Will Rogers

    It is incredible how many projects a gal can start in a weekend if she gets lucky and doesn't get called in for backup call. (And also if one's husband happens to be away and one is recovering from a bit of a cold and if one gets a little extra day this weekend . . .) Want a little tour?

    Some were successful, and some less so.

    I was really excited initially about the Vintage Beaded Gloves from Handknit Holidays, until I cast on 90 sts on US1s with sportweight yarn and started a twisted rib. Then I really began to have my doubts. A perusal of Ravelry to see the finished projects clinched it - a definite no-go.
    So what would you do with 2 skeins of Blue Sky Alpaca and Silk?

    I was equally excited about Meida's Socks from the Interweave Favorite Sock books. . . and I still am after I remembered that I always have to go up 1 needle size on a Nancy Bush pattern.
    Good-bye first repeat, hello US2s.

    Some other projects have survived the weekend without any major frogging.

    The Log Cabin Socks from Handknit Holidays (have I ever told you how much I love this book) have the distinct privilege of being made from the very oldest yarn in my stash (Tahki Dakota). The fact that the variation obscures some of the cabling is so secondary and so not important to it's general warmth, fuzziness, and cabley-goodness.

    Speaking of stash, I started Shedir in the KnitPicks Ambrosia leftover from my sister's Rowena. (But not for my sister - that would be too matchy-matchy.) Something tells me that it doesn't have quite the stitch definition of the Calmer, but it's lovely nonetheless.

    A pair of Trekking socks. Because, really - who doesn't need some stockinette stitch?
    And the very antithesis of plain and boring would be the best-for-last project I started.
    These are the Hallard mittens from Folk Mittens in (what else?) Cascade 220. The heathered brown is also one of the older stash yarns I've had, and I bought the cream to go with it. These mittens are just perfectly delightful, and way speedier than I thought. Mitten 1 is now done except for the thumb and I'm on to Mitten 2.

    The very best part is a surprise - there are initials on the inside of the cuff.

    And if all of those new projects weren't enough, I made some beautiful yarn cakes with more Cascade 220. Future projects coming our way . . . And all is right with this world of warmth and goodness, isn't it?

    Labels: ,

    14 Comments:

    Blogger Pam said...

    Theresa, I used alpaca silk for my Anemoi mittens -- which wouldn't work quite so well with two skeins of the same color ;-) It would be nice for mittens or gloves, and a scarf of alpaca/silk would be yummy too.

    I think this yarn is really pretty & soft!

    10/09/2007 8:47 PM  
    Blogger Disentangled said...

    busy, busy, busy...even in your down time you're still busy ;-)

    10/10/2007 7:51 AM  
    Blogger Angelika said...

    Wow, where do you take the time? You DO work too, right? Your stuff looks great.

    10/10/2007 8:27 AM  
    Blogger Francesca said...

    You see? This definitely slides into my mental "aaaaaah" space, which needs more filling right now.

    So much good stuff going on. I love the Shedir pattern. And while Calmer is good in it (having done it now three times) I don't love its stitch definition, actually. It's kinda squashy. This might be equally nice. I loved Eunny's felted tweed Shedir. THinking that might be nice for fall.

    No no. No casting on. No!

    10/10/2007 9:10 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Startitis, indeed! That mitten makes me want to fish out my folk mittens (Aran) and finish them up! Nice knits!

    10/10/2007 11:07 AM  
    Blogger Jenn said...

    It is so reassuring to know that I am not the only one who catches weekend starteritis. Whew.

    10/10/2007 3:21 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    WOW! You have quite a bad (good) case of startitis! Yu have obviously not built up immunity to that disease yet!
    I don't remember those mittens - gotta go find them....

    10/10/2007 4:09 PM  
    Blogger JayJay said...

    Holy moly! That's a lot of new projects! It's a good thing you're such a fast knitter. ;) I'm sad to hear about the gloves, it is such a pretty photo in the book. Everything looks wonderful, particularly the mittens! Yay, for stashbusting! (I have now officially used up my exclamation point quota for the month).

    10/10/2007 4:17 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    AS IF I don't already have enough on the needles...You're making me want to knit some cozy accessories now! :)

    10/10/2007 5:56 PM  
    Blogger Meg said...

    I've got some Log Cabin socks on the go too! And referring to that pattern all the time has made me wonder whether I should make those gloves as a christmas present for someone. But there was a sneaking suspicion something was not right there. I'm glad I'm not alone!

    10/10/2007 8:17 PM  
    Blogger Unknown said...

    6 projects in one weekend?? Wow, I envy your free time (but maybe not your illness). Love the mittens, I've always been tempted to start something like that but I'm still all fingers and thumbs when it comes to fairisle

    10/11/2007 3:56 AM  
    Blogger Stephanie said...

    Oh damn you! Now I want to start a bunch of new projects and here I am trying so hard to finish some of the old wips. I love all the knitting goodness.

    10/12/2007 8:12 AM  
    Blogger Jenny Raye said...

    WOW! That's some case of startitis you have~~maybe you should see a dr about it? (grin) I thought I was bad with starting two yesterday, but you have me beat handily! Have fun!!!

    10/12/2007 1:02 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Teeny baby & bear! (Oct 16th post. I'm catching up.)

    I love the Log Cabin socks from Handknit Holidays! Easy, quick & comfy.

    Wow, those mittens are gorgeous. And initials too? Nice!

    What a perfect sil! She gives you yarn.

    10/18/2007 3:01 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home