Monday, May 14, 2007

  • Main Page
  • About Time

    Time has no divisions to mark its passage,
    there is never a thunder-storm or blare of trumpets
    to announce the beginning of a new month or year.
    -Thomas Mann

    It's only taken me a year . . .


    I made a bobbin.
    And threaded the sewing machine.
    And sewed three seams. To make this very irregularly-shaped pillow insert.
    Which I stuffed mostly with yarn scraps, plus a little Fiberfill. (You knew I was saving them for a reason, didn't you?) Because I wanted a very firm pillow.
    Because of it's awesome (and rather unusual) shape.The Humbug Pillow is now finished (my UFO Resurrection for May). More importantly, my sewing machine is all threaded up, and I actually sewed something. I'm embarassed to say how easy it was. . . Any thoughts for what my next project should be? This was fun.

    The Humbug Pillow
    Pattern: from Debbie Bliss' Home
    Yarn: Cotton Ease (Old Style) - stash busting!
    Needles: US 8 circulars, something metal
    Notes: I didn't swatch, so I just knit it to the dimensions and made the pillow as long as they said. I suspect that my gauge was a little tight because the photo is the book is more "square" whereas mine has a distinct oblong-ness - it's longer in one direction. But it's perfect for lying back against. Also, I was worried that the lining fabric might show through, so I picked something complimentary and on sale. Isn't it cute?
    Best Thing About This Project: Clearly, using my sewing machine. But a runner up is how much I like the finished project. It's a perfect reading pillow - props your head up at just the right angle.

    The weekend was full of all sorts of other crafty goodness (of the knitting variety) as well. It's incredible how long an actual weekend - two whole days off - is.

    Labels: , ,

    15 Comments:

    Blogger Anneliese Kelly said...

    It's like we traded lives for the weekend or something. I'm starting on day 4 of paper-pounding out (20 pages done, 20 to go) while you're all chillaxing. Except my non-working weekends are generally less productive than yours.

    (pillow is of course cute. I am of course inspired).

    5/14/2007 10:25 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Yay for the perfect pillow! Why don't you try to piece together some scraps for a little quilt? It'll give you a chance to work on straight seams...

    5/14/2007 11:50 AM  
    Blogger Marina said...

    Curtains, place mats, apron, "easy" things to practice and build on!

    5/14/2007 1:15 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    AHH the sewing machine. The options are endless. Just remember the costume box from your younger years. Here's a wish that all of your projects bring you joy! Love, Mom

    5/14/2007 3:11 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I have cleared a path to my sewing machine, so now the possibilities are endless!

    I really like your pillow!

    5/14/2007 4:18 PM  
    Blogger Susan said...

    I love the UFO finishing plan. I am in awe of your sewing skills. I haven't touched my machine for so long, I'm going to have to find the manual if I ever want to use it.
    The pillow is too cute!

    5/14/2007 5:32 PM  
    Blogger Pam said...

    I like your pillow - cool shape!

    My last sewing project was the lining of a felted bag -- another knitting/sewing hybrid.

    5/14/2007 6:10 PM  
    Blogger Jenn said...

    Very cute! Something to add to the project list. And good for you to get the sewing machine out. I wish I would.....

    5/14/2007 6:30 PM  
    Blogger JayJay said...

    I love the pillow, but I especially love that you were finally able to sew! For a next project I would recommend curtains, another pillow, or a skirt (a-line is easy and flattering).

    5/14/2007 10:32 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I always feel a little guilty throwing out those snippets of yarn; you've found a great use for them.

    5/15/2007 3:44 AM  
    Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

    I am very impressed by anyone that can use a sewing machine--cute pillow!!

    5/15/2007 5:04 AM  
    Blogger Tracy Batchelder said...

    Nice pillow! It even looked good before you added the knitted cover. You could make more of these with just fabric.

    5/15/2007 6:24 AM  
    Blogger Karen said...

    Hurray!!! Those sewing skills come back pretty quick, huh? Next sewing project? How about a knitting project bag? Quick and easy, and so useful. :) I made my first few using this tutorial . . . and before you know it, you'll be just winging it!!

    5/15/2007 8:25 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Woohoo!! Congrats on the first seams sewn!

    Anything that is easy and straightforward - I bet you could pull off some simple drawstring pj pants or skirt :)

    5/15/2007 4:44 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Such a great pillow! Yay for sewing! I'm still trying to refrain from getting out the sewing machine, but I weaken a little more with each cute sewn object I see!

    5/16/2007 8:07 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home