Thursday, January 01, 2009

  • Main Page
  • A Whole New Year

    I drink to the days that are.
    -William Morris

    I did it! Here's The State of the Stash:

    December 31, 2008
    Skeins: 499.75
    Yards: 86,124

    If we recall, my goal was to get under 500 skeins, and under 100,000 yards. I squeaked by, barely. But I also bought quite a bit of yarn this year, including the many skeins for two adult and one baby Dale sweater, and, uh other various yarns. Including these:Enter A Time Warp Phenomenon. Because if that was my stash at 23:59:59 on December 31, 2008, how is this my stash on January 1, 2009 at 24:00:01?
    January 1, 2009
    Skeins: 515.75
    Yards: 92,269

    That mass of lovely sock yarn I bought on a great Ravelry destash sale. 17 skeins of lovely yarn for about $100. You would have, too. So I used a little creative accounting and a stuck it in the stash on a time warp phenomenon.

    So now that we've faced up to it all . . . where are we going this year?
    • Knit 100 skeins
    • Reduce the stash by 1/3 (30,756 yds)
    The 100 skeins are easy. I knit much more than that this past year. And I did reduce my stash - barely. Because I kept buying more yarn, although mostly for specific projects. The Dales need what they need.

    The 30,000+ yds? A little more difficult. Because this is net negative 30,000 yds in spite of any purchases for, you know, Dale sweaterLinks. But I don't have to knit down all of this, because destashing will count. This will get me much closer to my imagined, presumed, sort of what I think is my "happy stash place." I'm guessing I'd like to have about 50,000 yds on hand. I want the ability to start pretty much any project I want at 2am, but the ability also to go and buy yarn for any reason at any time.

    How does that sound? Would it sound even better if I told you that I already ordered the stockings from Judy's Colors? The Christmas spirit and all.

    Labels:

    7 Comments:

    Blogger Rebecca said...

    I've ordered the Damask Rose to knit and plan to get two more when this one is done. Which ones did you order? I thought you had already knit stockings for you and the husband.....

    1/02/2009 12:10 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I'm giving the 100 balls of yarn out thing a try as well. Although you've been inspiring me to get yarn for a Dale of Norway sweater of my own so we'll see what happens!

    1/02/2009 6:37 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    It sounds like a great plan and about the perfect balance.

    Christmas Spirit AND planning ahead!

    1/02/2009 7:00 PM  
    Blogger Elinor said...

    This is so amazing! I'm not really clear on how much space 600 skeins of yarn occupies but I'm thinking it's a lot! Congratulations on the stash down and good luck next year! Happy New Year!

    1/03/2009 9:31 AM  
    Blogger JayJay said...

    Wow, I am a really slow knitter. Thank goodness my stash is proportionately smaller to compensate. ;) Congrats on reaching your goal for the year!

    1/13/2009 8:50 AM  
    Blogger Angelika said...

    That's a lot of yarn you have there. But then I shouldn't be talking. Most of mine is still in boxes from the last move, so I really don't have the right overview to tell how much I have. Let's say it's not easy walking into my closet. :)

    1/14/2009 6:19 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Every attempt to decrease stash ends in abject failure. I don't seem to have a superego.

    1/21/2009 5:36 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home