Thursday, November 27, 2008

  • Main Page
  • Thankful

    As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that
    the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them.
    -John Fitzgerald Kennedy

    I've been learning a lot about gratitude this year.

    I've spent a lot of time working, and learning that my worst day being a doctor is better than the best day being sick. I'm grateful for that.

    My husband deployed (and he ran a turkey trot this morning), and any day I talk to him is better than any day I don't. While we haven't been married very long, I think we're learning a thankfulness that will last a good long time. That we're grateful for any chance to talk; that nice real conversation is better than a quick "hello," but that a hello is better than nothing. That my mother is right, and there is an art of the greeting card. That there really is only one person who completes me. That we are strong people, and we're doing just fine. But we're stronger together. I'm thankful that we're learning this now.
    Being thankful means taking nothing for granted, and enjoying the roses my husband sent. Being thankful means I need to go peel all those apples for the pie . . . and looking forward to having a Thanksgiving chicken for the first time in my life. Because I'm so very thankful for the friends I'll be sharing it with, and they just don't like turkey. I'm thankful that at least they like cranberry sauce!

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    Labels:

    8 Comments:

    Blogger Knitting Up North said...

    Well put, T. I hope you have a very happy Thanksgiving and enjoy your time with friends. Talk to you soon. Love, SC

    11/27/2008 10:29 AM  
    Blogger Shoshana said...

    Happy Thanksgiving! I miss you and will try to call over the weekend.

    11/27/2008 11:31 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Happy Thanksgiving. I hope this is a better day than not.

    11/27/2008 5:10 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    What a treasure the Deployed One has found in you! May you never take each other for granted.

    Love,
    Susan

    11/28/2008 5:19 AM  
    Blogger Tracy Batchelder said...

    Take nothing for granted and be content with what you have--good lessons for us all to learn.

    11/28/2008 5:54 AM  
    Blogger Rebecca said...

    Well said! My prayer is that you will have many, many years together with your sweetie and that each passing year will bring you even more joy.

    11/28/2008 5:56 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    "my worst day being a doctor is better than the best day being sick". Amen. I remind myself of this on a regular basis especially since I've been sick, too. This week I felt like the stakes were very high as we all wished patients would get better faster and we'd be able to get them out of the hospital for Thanksgiving. When normally we don't labor over "one more day" in the hospital, the disappointment was visible in the people who would need to stay until Friday since Thursday wasn't an ordinary Thursday.

    Your strength is amazing. Your and your husband continue to be in my thoughts.

    11/29/2008 11:00 AM  
    Blogger JayJay said...

    How sweet! I hope he read this. I really think having time apart does make it clearer how much we want to be with our loved ones. However, I do hope your time apart is not too long.

    12/05/2008 11:46 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home