Tuesday, November 18, 2008

  • Main Page
  • Selbu-what?

    His house was perfect, whether you liked food, or sleep, or work,
    or story-telling, or singing, or just sitting and thinking, best,
    or a pleasant mixture of them all.

    -J.R. Tolkein

    The Dale comes along! The body is done, with sleeve steeks sewn. The left sleeve is sewn in, and the right sleeve is finishing, drying, waiting to be sewn in. Picking up stitches for my crewneck collar tonight.

    So, while I slog along towards the finished line (yes, knitting a collar onto an entire finished sweater is slogging . . .), let's enjoy some other Scandinavian colorwork that never got it's day on the blog. The long-time readers among you will remember how much I enjoyed going to Scandinavia.

    Ah, Selbuvotter gloves. Another true love. After making 3 or 4 small and fiddly pieces for the teddy bear, I gave up on that idea and reconsidered what to do with these gorgeous skeins of natural alpaca.

    So I made this pair on the left, for me. Annemor #11 (Ravelry link). And I couldn't stop. So I made Annemor #12, on the left, below (Ravelry link). And I still couldn't stop. (And the yarn just kept on going . . .) Plus, Annemor #12 never made it to the Christmas basket before my husband grabbed them off my needles and claimed them for himself. So, along came Annemor #17, on the right below (Ravelry link). And that one made it to the Christmas basket.
    What's the Plural of Selbuvotter?
    Patterns: as above, from Selbuvotter by Terri Shea, my favorite book of 2008
    Yarn: lovely alpaca, blogged here
    Needles: US 2
    Notes: The patterns are almost European in the way they don't spell out everything. But the charts are clear, and they were easy to knit. What I learned between the first and second pairs was to line up the sides of the fingers.
    Best Thing About This Project: The husband liking them so much he stole a pair. Now we can coordinate. Can't you just see the Christmas card? Complimentary Dale sweaters, complimentary Selbuvotter gloves. . .

    I'm just tiding myself over until I can get to Norway. Although earlier today I was struck with an overwhelming desire to go to New Zealand. The source was a map of the global incidence of esophageal cancer, but I'll take my inspiration where I can get it!

    Labels:

    15 Comments:

    Blogger Jessica said...

    Beautiful. I love them all in the natural color.

    11/18/2008 10:40 PM  
    Blogger alligator said...

    Wow!!! Those are amazing! What a perfect use for that lovely yarn! I wish I could steal a pair too!

    11/18/2008 11:00 PM  
    Blogger Jennifer said...

    For more than a year I keep thinking...I need the Selbuvotter book. Like everytime I see something great on a blog. You've given me that feeling again. Your knits are lovely!

    11/19/2008 4:44 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Gorgeous.
    Now I am heading over to Ravelry to add them to my queue/favorites so I can remember to buy the book!

    11/19/2008 5:00 AM  
    Blogger Tracy Batchelder said...

    Beautiful!!! Seeing all three pairs at once is even more impressive than if you had blogged about each separately.

    11/19/2008 5:57 AM  
    Blogger Unknown said...

    wow that's a beautiful pattern...

    11/19/2008 6:37 AM  
    Blogger Linda said...

    I love your gloves. I have that book and tried one pair, but when I tried to knit Annemor #12 I was stumped on the fingers. The chart didn't seem to correspond to what I had on my needles. I had an experienced knitter friend look at them but she couldn't help. I've given up for now, but after seeing your work I might go back and try again.

    11/19/2008 9:08 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I'm dying to go to New Zealand. And to Scandanavia. But we're planning for Rome right now in May. Why can't I go everywhere at once?

    11/19/2008 12:19 PM  
    Blogger knitzalot said...

    So where does New Zealand stand in terms of esophogeal cancer? ;)

    11/19/2008 1:43 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Gorgeous gloves - every single one of them!!!

    11/19/2008 1:46 PM  
    Blogger Angelika said...

    Nice mittens. I need to start them and see how addictive they are

    11/19/2008 5:07 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    These gloves are incredible! You truly have talent, T!!! Love, Mom

    11/19/2008 6:52 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Those gloves are beautiful! I've been eyeing that book for a long time.

    11/20/2008 5:32 PM  
    Blogger JayJay said...

    My goodness, those are some impressive gloves!

    11/24/2008 12:46 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Wow! These are stunning!

    11/24/2008 5:46 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home