Monday, November 24, 2008

  • Main Page
  • Another Way to Keep Warm

    I once had a rose named after me and I was very flattered.
    But I was not pleased to read the description in a catalgoue:
    no good in a bed, but fine up against a wall.
    -Eleanor Roosevelt

    It was a whole 47 degrees this morning when I got in my car to head to work. For San Diego, that's definite sweater weather. Maybe even mittens, although for the whole 10 minute drive I tend to just put the seat heaters on and "tough it out." And actually, I tend to wear hooded sweatshirts more than sweaters when I'm dragging myself off in the pre-dawn hours. A morning person, I am not. Just ask my mom.

    Speaking of my mom, she's a grand appreciator of handknits. You may recall that when I saw her earlier this month, she tried to steal my brand-new cowl. Since there's no good reason we can't both have one, I made another one:

    (The color is truer in the original post - darker than here.) That's the Luxe Neckwarmer from Knit 2 Together, for those of you too lazy to follow the link.

    Those cowls were fun. And if not entirely stashbusters, due to not requiring super-much yarn, they did provide a potential outlet for heretofore unusused lovely skeins.

    Hence, the next cowl:


    Nova's Birthday Cowl
    Pattern:
    Birthday Cowl, free pattern here
    Yarn: Green Mountain Spinnery Mountain Mohair
    Needles: US 8
    Notes: Great easy pattern. Very similar to the one in the Odessa hat.
    Best Thing About This Project: The way the yarn blooms.

    The only challenge with this cowl is going to be finding someone who can wear this color so close to their face. It's a gorgeous coral which I used to great effect as an accent here and here, but alone it's quite bright.

    So then I took a look at the rest of my Mountain Mohair leftovers (because I'm learning that leftovers - often in massive quantities are what happens when you do stranded knitting), conveniently sitting in a basket waiting their turn. And another cowl was born.

    Almost Lichen Cowl
    Pattern:
    inspired by the Lichen Cowl from Lollyknits
    Yarn: more Mountain Mohair leftovers
    Needles: US 8
    Notes: I modified this to make it narrower - the original can be wrapped twice around the neck, but I wanted a more straightforward cowl. I think I used 90 sts or thereabouts.
    Best Thing About This Project: Soft fuzzy yarn, delightful colors - and "my" colors, and the perfect thing to keep a little chill at bay, indoors or out. Because any day you can wear handknits is better than any day you can't.

    Labels:

    5 Comments:

    Blogger JayJay said...

    Wow, I love them all! I plan to make some scarves for RJ's daycare workers. Perhaps a cowl may work itself into the mix as well.

    11/24/2008 12:38 PM  
    Blogger Lorette said...

    I love all of those! I just may have to do a cowl. I have some little orphan skeins that work perfectly.

    11/24/2008 4:29 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Those are some fun cowls you have there! I have yet to knit one for myself, but I intend to remedy that soon!

    11/24/2008 5:47 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I think the bright cowl would look really pretty on Simone. She can pull off intensely saturated color.

    11/24/2008 5:48 PM  
    Blogger Tracy Batchelder said...

    They are all lovely!

    11/25/2008 6:26 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home