Sunday, November 04, 2007

  • Main Page
  • The Rose Window

    You are responsible forever for what you have tamed.
    You are responsible for your rose.
    -Antoine de Saint-Exupery


    I love Rose Windows. They appear in wonderful places, like the the missions of San Antonio and San Diego. Even in the church where I was baptized, and where my husband and I are getting married again this April. So imagine my delight when inspiration struck and I was able to finally knit the Stained Glass Hat.

    Back in another world, another time, pre-blog (imagine!) I planned to make my mom a sweater for Christmas. I was still living in a wonderful place where there were nice day trips to take to scenic places that weren't completely destroyed by wildfires. But I digress. I took a trip to the Green Mountain Spinnery to buy the yarn for the sweater. And in the process discovered their remnants bin. And the pattern for this hat. And so I picked up all the bright colors and have been waiting for more than two years to make this hat. Well, the right time comes around eventually. And I'm sure glad it did. Because I love Rose Windows.

    Stained Glass Hat
    Pattern: The Stained Glass Hat from Green Mountain Spinnery
    Yarn: Mountain Mohair - my new favorite yarn
    Needles: US7 dpns
    Notes: I changed the colors from their 3 selected colorways and ended up using only 5 colors instead of 6.
    Best Thing About This Project: The Christmas basket is staying empty here. These are all mine. And so will the matching mittens be.

    Labels: ,

    13 Comments:

    Blogger sloth-knits said...

    The hat looks gorgeous! I like Rose Windows too. The effect of light streaming through them and hitting the pews in a dark church is just incredible.

    11/05/2007 8:33 AM  
    Blogger Pam said...

    Great hat! Mountain mohair will be really great (and warm) for mittens!

    11/05/2007 8:40 AM  
    Blogger Tracy Batchelder said...

    Love it!

    11/05/2007 8:41 AM  
    Blogger knitzalot said...

    You did a really nice job on the colorwork for that had. It's beautiful!

    11/05/2007 9:47 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    What a pretty hat! Back when I was quilting a lot - I loved looking at these windows and other pretty architectural features - I see quilts in them.

    11/05/2007 10:31 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    That's a beautiful hat. It really does evoke stained glass.

    11/05/2007 10:49 AM  
    Blogger Jenn said...

    Pretty!

    11/05/2007 3:15 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Very cute!

    11/05/2007 4:59 PM  
    Blogger TeresaB said...

    Oh, I love rose windows too and that hat is gorgeous! Must add to my list of "to-do's". (Not that a hat like that comes in handy that often in FL, but hey, I live in north FL and we kind of get cold.

    11/05/2007 9:07 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    THAT is a beautiful hat! I love the wonderful palette of colors you chose - really pretty!

    11/06/2007 6:31 AM  
    Blogger Kate said...

    Beautiful hat, your tension is awesome.
    Rose windows -- York Minster is my favourite of all. Most serene sight I've ever had the privilege of experiencing.

    11/06/2007 8:01 PM  
    Blogger margene said...

    The hat is beautiful! How smart of you to keep it!

    11/07/2007 4:45 AM  
    Blogger Knitting Bandit said...

    I love this hat! Are you on Ravelry? I' love to save it to my favorties so that someday when I learn how to do Fair Isle I can easily find this. grat color choices!

    11/11/2007 1:40 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home