Friday, November 28, 2008

  • Main Page
  • Lounging About

    Once a guy starts to wear silk pajamas, it's hard to get up early.
    -Eddie Arcaro

    I'm doing my part to shore up the economy today by lounging about in my new pajamas and shopping online.

    Which leads me to all sorts of happy thoughts on my new pajamas, so let's talk about my very first sewn garment.
    T's First Pajamas
    Pattern: Simplicity "It's so easy" pattern 2731 for Misses' Pajamas (1st one here)
    Fabric: a flannel snowflake print I bought at Joanne's last year on a sale. Anyone know why it says "not intended for children's sleepwear" on the selvage edge?
    Notes: I followed the pattern exactly, as best as I could . . . which isn't saying much.
    Best Thing About This Project: The lounging, of course!

    It's not perfect - somehow I ended up with this accidental pleat sewn into the hem. Since I made them comfortably long, you can't really tell when they're on. I am proud of the buttonholes and the drawstring: JayJay encouraged me to make them by hand, since I'd forgotten the manual to my sewing machine and I couldn't figure out how to use the buttonhole feature without it. I think they came out pretty well.

    Now I guess I'd better go stop lounging, and move onto a stressful afternoon of meeting the girls for a matinee!

    Labels:

    8 Comments:

    Blogger Knitting Up North said...

    The "not for children's sleepwear" is because the material is not flame retardent or resistent. All baby and children's sleepwear has to resist fire. Scary thought, huh? Love SC

    11/28/2008 2:41 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Sweet jammies! Knitting up North beat me to the reason why it's not for children's sleepwear.

    Buttonholes are actually easier by hand - at least I think so.

    11/28/2008 7:02 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Right - I'm pretty sure it's a federal law that was passed when my girls were infants or shortly before the oldest was born (in 1973). It stemmed from the fact that there were several horrific incidents with young children reaching for something near or above a stove while wearing generally loose fitting nylon or cotton night clothes - often little girls wearing loose nylon nightgowns. The garments went up like torches & the children either died or suffered through horrible recoveries & ended up severely scarred. When my girls were very young, it was almost impossible to find night wear that wasn't 100% polyester or acrylic since it is naturally fire resistant (ie it doesn't easily burst into flames). I've noticed that (now that I'm shopping for grandchildren) you can buy cotton jammies but they are either designed to be very close fitting (like long underwear) or marked "not designed for sleeping." [Which to me is just a way of getting around the law because the garments are so clearly intended as sleepwear.]

    11/28/2008 7:04 PM  
    Blogger Tracy Batchelder said...

    The PJs look comfy. Good work!

    11/29/2008 6:41 AM  
    Blogger Laurie said...

    I love that fabric!

    11/29/2008 4:02 PM  
    Blogger Kate Diamond said...

    So cute! This is one of my goals... to learn to actually sew. But I am going to wait until AFTER I've sent my book out to agents, because otherwise it's just going to be a procrastination technique...

    11/30/2008 11:06 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Congrats on the pjs! I bought a pattern last year (that you just reminded me about)- hmmm...maybe it's time I make myself a pair!

    12/01/2008 5:40 PM  
    Blogger JayJay said...

    Wow, they turned out great! I still think buttonholes are awesome to do by hand, and yours look really nice.

    As for the sleepwear thing, the previous posters are correct. Of course recently it has been discovered that flame retardants used in a lot of furniture foam actually release lots of harmful chemicals that negatively impact infants and small children. You can't win really. Just get some snug cotton jammies and be done with it.

    12/05/2008 12:52 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home