Sunday, November 30, 2008

  • Main Page
  • Planning Ahead

    The secret of success is constancy of purpose.
    -Benjamin Disraeli

    It's the last day of NaBloPoMo, and I think we can safely say it's been a success. I've posted every day even if I did sort of forget my third blogiversary. Regardless, it's been fun to get back into the rhythm. And to start thinking ahead to what I want my knitting to do and be in 2009.

    So fun, that I almost got sucked into the idea of NaKniSweMoDo. Almost. The idea of knitting 12 sweaters in as many months appeals to me. It's complicated, and my husband assures me that the more complicated something is, the more I like it.

    But then I stopped and pondered. And realized that I have like two or three more Dales I want to make, including the adorable baby Dale I'm starting today.

    So then I made my plans: I'm going to knit whatever I want in 2009, whenever I want to. So there. And in celebration, I'm about to have a little cast on party. Right now.

    I'm also going to be reducing the stash quite a bit. Right now I'm at 501 skeins and 96,417 yards, with 26 balls of Mission Falls 1824 cotton in the mail (another 2,200+ yards). Assuming I buy no new yarn in 2008, that'll keep me well under my goal of <100,000 yards on December 31st. The goal of <500 skeins will be a little closer, but I think it's do-able based on the projects on the needles and in the wings for December.

    Of the remaining stash, more than 20,000 yards is laceweight. Will have to ponder that. But this past year of attempting (and pretty much succeeding) to reduce the stash has made me decide that my ideal stash size is probably around 50,000 yards. Enough to cast on whatever I want whenever I want, but also to buy tweedy yarn for the new IK whenever I want. That would be about 50% less than I currently have, which would be a little extreme for a single year of stash reduction. So I'm thinking that my goal for Dec 31st 2009 will be to have reduced the stash by 1/3 compared to Dec 31st 2008.

    Oh, and because I still can't resist a joint complicated goal, I'll be doing the Knit 100 Balls of Yarn in 2009 with the Ravelry Stash Knit Down 2009 group!

    OK, off to cast on . . .

    Labels: ,

    10 Comments:

    Blogger margene said...

    Even if I knit 12 sweaters it won't be close to 100 balls of yarn! I'll be watching.

    11/30/2008 11:46 AM  
    Blogger Jenn said...

    I really like the idea of 12 sweaters, especially since I have enough yarn in the stash already, but it seems unrealistic with the new baby and all. My stash has grown instead of shrunk this year. I love the idea of knitting 100 balls of yarn, but I think that'd be harder than the sweaters! Love to watch your progress, and I can't wait to see what you're casting on today!

    11/30/2008 1:58 PM  
    Blogger Laurie said...

    Margene's point is sobering. I was just about to say "Yeah! Me too!" on the 100 balls. The month this year that I tried to knit a mile? Heh. Got to 700/1760 yards. And that was knitting furiously on vacation.

    I think aiming for stash reduction is a good idea. I think I can do that. As long as I don't go to Webs.

    11/30/2008 2:06 PM  
    Blogger Jessica said...

    I'm going for NaKniSweMoDo. I figure that even if I quit at some point (which I am completely giving myself permission to do because it has to be fun)I will make a good dent in my stash and my sweater "to knit" list.

    11/30/2008 3:36 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    If anyone can knit a complicated sweater every month - it's you! I, too, will be watching............:)

    11/30/2008 3:49 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    The sweater thing sounds neat but I much prefer your idea of being able to knit anything you want whenever you want. And 50,000 does sounds like a nice stash number. I'm down from 108,000 to about 78,000 yards and I'd love to hit 50,000 by end of 2009. Good luck to you!

    11/30/2008 5:42 PM  
    Blogger Tracy Batchelder said...

    Your plan for what to knit in 2009 is the best one I've heard so far. It's the one I subscribe to every year.

    12/01/2008 7:21 AM  
    Blogger Rebecca said...

    How did you go about counting your yardage? I am seriously going to reduce my stash in 2009 and the challenge to knit 100 balls sounds like it involves fewer math calculations so that is probably the one for me! I'm dashing on over to check it out. You have done a great job reducing your stash this year!

    12/01/2008 8:44 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I'm planning to knit whatever I like in 2009 as well. Just hope it's more than I managed to knit ing 2008...! =)

    12/01/2008 9:03 PM  
    Blogger JayJay said...

    That's a lot of lace weight!

    I'm with you, I think it's more fun to knit whatever and not worry so much about the outcome. Keep the spirit of the Knitting Special Olympics alive!

    12/05/2008 12:56 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home