Wednesday, December 31, 2008

  • Main Page
  • Goodbye, Hello

    Be always at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors,
    and let each new year find you a better man.
    -Benjamin Franklin

    One might think that with the last twelve hours of 2008 at my disposal, I would have some deep and profound thoughts. I don't have many. The past year has been a good one personally, professionally, and certainly knitterly.
    I tried to count the finished projects of 2008 for a year-end wrap up, but I lost track after 100. The year in my mind seems full of snapshots, so I'll share some of my favorites.

    As my sister says, it's not every year you get to marry your husband all over again.
    There's nothing cuter than a baby in handknits.I discovered just how much I love stranded colorwork knitting, no matter how little it suits my current climate. I also discovered what a grateful recipient my husband is.I made two adult Dale sweaters this year (yes, I know you're still waiting for good photos of my Park City), and in the process discovered that this is my favorite thing to knit. Expect to see much more in 2009.

    I have plans for the coming year, not so much resolutions. As I tell my patients, there's a difference between a goal and a plan. A goal is "Exercise more." A plan is "Lay out my gym clothes at night, set the alarm for 5:00, and go to the gym for 45 minutes before work." Plans have a way of making goals come true. And as 2009 is the year I will knit whatever I want to knit, when I want to knit it, expect a bit of a cast-on frenzy coming up.

    After all, it's already 2009 in Iraq.

    Ring out the old, ring in the new,
    Ring, happy bells, across the snow:
    The year is going, let him go;
    Ring out the false, ring in the true.
    -Alfred, Lord Tennyson

    Labels:

    10 Comments:

    Blogger margene said...

    It's been quite a year for you. Here's to a fabulous 2009!! Happy New Year!

    12/31/2008 4:42 PM  
    Blogger Kristen said...

    You picture good memories and reasons to celebrate. Enjoy fulfilling your knitterly plans for 2009!

    12/31/2008 5:12 PM  
    Blogger Knitting Up North said...

    Happy New Year, T! Love SC

    12/31/2008 7:20 PM  
    Blogger Donna said...

    Happy New Year, Theresa - keep those Dale sweaters coming! :)

    12/31/2008 7:33 PM  
    Blogger Dorothy said...

    Thanks for the recap in photos. Here's wishing you a wonderful new year that sees your hubby home again.

    12/31/2008 9:58 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hi Theresa, May all of your plans fulfill your goals, even the lofty ones! Love, Mom
    PS Get some sleep!

    1/01/2009 11:20 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    This is a lovely post! Happy New Year!

    1/01/2009 5:52 PM  
    Blogger Rachel said...

    Happy New Year, Theresa! So glad 2008 was such a winner for you. I hope 2009 tops it!

    1/03/2009 12:49 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    It certainly was a good year! Here's to an even better '09- happy new year, Theresa!

    1/05/2009 5:13 PM  
    Blogger JayJay said...

    It has been a phenomenal year, as those photos surely demonstrate! I hope things continue to be good.

    1/13/2009 8:51 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home