Sunday, January 07, 2007

  • Main Page
  • Flying High

    To chase the glowing hours with flying feet.
    -George Gordon, Lord Byron


    I'm just flying high today. It's my first day off in two weeks (at last!), I had a great overnight call on Friday (sometimes it's even fun to stay up for 30 hours!); last night I got to get myself and the beau all dressed up for the Internal Medicine Department Holiday Party (more fun than it sounds!); and then, look what I did today: How many of the doctors out there can say that their first resident from internship took them flying? He spent 5 years out with the fleet as a Flight Surgeon before coming back to training, so he's done a lot of flying and even has a plane. How cool is that? Want to see where we went? La Jolla Cove is gorgeous from land, but completely breathtaking from the air. It's a whole new perspective on this city I'm calling home these days.

    In other (and knitting) news, I am full steam ahead on a couple of knitalongs at the moment. One is the 2007 UFO Resurrection Challenge.I seem to have 11 ongoing projects on the sidebar over there, but I'm pretty sure I have a 12th somewhere. If only I could remember what it was . . . At any rate, the idea is to tackle one UFO per month for 2007. And since I'm still starting a new project every month, I'll have plenty to keep me going! January's was going to be the New England Socks, long-neglected, but I also had time today to run to Joann's and get the color thread I need. My Ribby Cardi is completely finished - ends woven and everything - except for the zipper. So now that I have all the supplies, you may be seeing that one make an appearance. I would love to wear it while it's still cool out.

    And speaking of a project a month, it's about time I got around to showing you my 6th month project, considering that we switch to block 7 on Tuesday . . . Meet the Humbug Pillow from Debbie Bliss' Home book. (Did I mention that I joined the Debbie Bliss Knitalong, mostly for the Denim Aran that will make it into the UFO Challenge one of these months . . . It's a small knitting world, isn't it?) Back to the pillow - it's basically a big rectangle that you sew in a funny way to make a cool triangle shaped pillow. I had some Cotton Ease that seemed perfect, and I needed a good, fairly mindless email/blog-reading project. This fit the bill perfectly, but it seems like a great thing to have around the living room. As a bonus, you also need to sew a fabric pillow inside to stuff, so I also picked up some fabric and the bobbins I need to start using my sewing machine. I'm in the ER next month, which means more days off than usual. I expect we'll be able to see some sewing. Finally!

    13 Comments:

    Blogger Unknown said...

    that is a great pic of the cove... it looks so peaceful from the air!

    1/07/2007 6:13 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Good luck on all of your projects!

    1/07/2007 6:23 PM  
    Blogger Jenn said...

    What fun! Don't suppose you have pictures of yourself and the Beau all dressed up for the ball, hmmmm?

    A pillow with cotton ease, eh? I could make about 12 million of those with my cotton ease stash - something to look into!

    1/07/2007 6:37 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Oh fun! I love flying - it was a beautiful day for you!

    1/08/2007 8:59 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Yeah! Sewing!! Can't wait to see what you make!

    1/08/2007 9:05 AM  
    Blogger Disentangled said...

    Congrats on your day off - and what a fun flight! My boss took me up in his plane a couple years ago for a similar flight. It was so much fun.

    Glad you will be resurrecting along!

    1/08/2007 11:19 AM  
    Blogger Wendy said...

    I'm at work, and I just clicked on your link for UFO Resurrection 2007, and it came up blocked as "Sexually Explicit." Hmmm - what's going on over there at that site??

    Or, maybe my unfinished projects are just doomed.

    Wendy

    1/08/2007 12:12 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    How awesome - you look like you had so much fun!

    1/08/2007 2:06 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Wow... it looks a lot nicer there than it does here right now (rain, rain, rain). What an amazing trip that must have been.

    Thanks for pointing out the UFO resurrection. I'm feeling really gung-ho now about finishing up some WIPs to make room for new knitting.

    1/08/2007 9:09 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Lucky girl! Beautiful pictures!

    1/09/2007 9:31 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    The reflection on your sunglasses showing the horizon and the controls is very cool. Great photo!

    1/09/2007 9:47 PM  
    Blogger JayJay said...

    That view is incredible! Military folk have the neatest hobbies!

    Let me know how things go with the sewing machine. I may be able to help if you have any issues.

    1/10/2007 12:48 PM  
    Blogger Deb said...

    You go, girl! Where are you doing your residency? We have CUSF here in Fresno. deb

    1/11/2007 9:05 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home