Sunday, October 12, 2008

  • Main Page
  • Sunday Best

    Sir, Sunday morning, although occurring at regular and well forseen intervals, always seems to take this railway by surprise.
    -William S. Gilbert

    This post will consist of two parts. The first will be random observations about having my husband deployed. The second will consist of lots of knitting.

    Observations about having my husband deployed
    1. Random strangers can be very nice about helping you lift bookcases into the back of your car.
    2. Why is it that I suddenly felt the compelling desire to go buy bookcases immediately after my husband left?
    3. I've had them for 3 days and still not put them together.
    4. The fraud prevention people from the credit card were going crazy.
    5. If you or your spouse deploys, you might want to call them and let them know. Otherwise they will call hourly for 2 days straight.
    6. Good to know that someone's paying attention.
    7. A heated mattress pad was the best idea ever.
    8. I don't eat half of what we when he's home; it's more like 1/3.
    9. Guess I don't have to go grocery shopping again for a couple of weeks.
    10. It's rather astounding how many cheesy romantic comedies and NCIS episodes the DVR can hold . . .
    11. And, you can even send flowers from Iraq. Lucky me :)
    Works-in-Progress (wahoo conference knitting!)

    I took a big black bag with me to the conference, and alternated projects, roughly by lecture. Over 2 1/2 days, I knit

    11 inches of sleeve for Park Citythe entire center part of the Swallowtail shawl (which is 1/2 the total, according to the handy-dandy shawl calculator here, which tells me that the border will be in a complementary color)
    all but the toe of my second Socktoberfest pair of socks, Old Navy (yup, seemed appropriate)
    And that's just what I took with me . . .

    Labels: , ,

    6 Comments:

    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Theresa, Your husband is quite a guy! BUT, we already knew that. Enjoy your flowers and knitting. My goal is to see which type of TastyKakes he likes best. My students are taking bets. Take care of yourself. Love, Mom

    10/12/2008 6:53 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    You are more than lucky, you are blessed. Loveyou, Dad

    10/12/2008 6:57 PM  
    Blogger Angelika said...

    Tell me about the DVR, I love it. My husband is only on 2 months TDY, but still, he's gone again too. Don't be surprised if you get a BuildABear from him one day, I did. I see lots more knitting in your future, the rate you are going. Hang in there.

    10/13/2008 5:27 AM  
    Blogger bySarah said...

    Gorgous Flowers. That was amazingly sweet.

    Looks like you have been getting tons of knitting done. I really like the way your swallowtail shawl is coming out.

    10/13/2008 7:10 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    LOL, no kidding about the food. We save a fortune on groceries when he is deployed. And I love having complete control of the remote control even if it is temporary. ;-)

    10/14/2008 6:55 PM  
    Blogger JayJay said...

    Yes, the husbands are the source of most of the food use. How sweet that he sent flowers. Now that's a dedicated romantic!

    Your projects are looking great!

    10/19/2008 9:12 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home