Saturday, October 04, 2008

  • Main Page
  • Summer Scarves

    The best thing one can do when it's raining is let it rain.
    -Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
    Yesterday was my day off and I had all kinds of good intentions to round up the WIPs and dangle them out for the world to see. (True confessions: I had a bout of startitis when my husband deployed. It's a common stress reaction, I find.) But I was stymied by . . . the weather! Clouds. Cool breezes. Threatening rain even. So exciting I'm almost beside myself. I even baked pumpkin bread in honor of the occasion (try the recipe here - it's like a very yummy pumpkin spice bread). So it was too overcast to photograph the new goodies - mittens and Socktoberfest socks and knitting with beads and oh-my-so-much-knitting-fun.

    Let's revisit some summer knits then, in honor of the fact that it might actually even rain today in San Diego:

    My yarn of the month for (gulp!) June was this hank of laceweight from Morehouse Merino farms. It had been gifted to me by a friend, and marinating in the stash since either my last year of college or first year of med school (circa 2001-2003). It's a lovely single ply in bright, hand-dyed colors, and finally I got to use it.


    Merino Ribbon Scarf
    Pattern:
    Lace Ribbon Scarf from Knitty, Spring 2008
    Yarn: Morehouse Merino laceweight, 1 hank, Santa Fe colorway
    Needles: US 6 or 7, I forget
    Notes: Great, easily memorized pattern. I'm not in love with the color flashing across the scarf, but I did enjoy knitting it.
    Best Thing About This Project: Memories of a sunny summer in Providence, all brought back while knitting it.

    I cannot at all recall when I finished this second summer scarf. I do know that I was working on it during the trip to Pennsylvania for my wedding in April, so it's been a while. It was a great portable project, as well, with just enough interest.

    Lacy Kerchief
    Pattern:
    Lacy Kerchief from Interweave Knits, Summer 2005 (a great issue)
    Yarn: Lion Brand Cotton-Ease, old put up, colorway Candy Blue
    Needles: US 8
    Notes: I didn't make this quite as long as called for in the pattern, and it's still very very long. With the garter stitch, though, it's very scrunchy and looks great wrapped.
    Best Thing About This Project: I love this color.

    Now I'm heading out to see if I can catch some rain. Wouldn't that be fun?

    Labels:

    4 Comments:

    Blogger Disentangled said...

    I love that lacy kerchief! It seems like something that could get a lot of use around these parts ;)

    PS - its been nice to hear from you again, but sorry its b/c hubby's gone :( Hope to see you soon!

    10/04/2008 5:08 PM  
    Blogger Kristen said...

    Both scarves are lovely. The pattern and coloring of the Ribbon scarf make it almost look like a tartan. Your Kerchief scarf is so similar to mine; I wish I'd made mine lots shorter, but with fuel prices it may come in handy to wrap up round and round in this winter.

    10/05/2008 3:39 AM  
    Blogger Nikki said...

    Beautiful!

    I've had the lace ribbon scarf around the top of my Rav queue for a while - and seeing yours finished is a definite inspiration1 :)

    10/06/2008 5:58 PM  
    Blogger JayJay said...

    The rain mostly missed us. :( Those are both lovely. Hmm, perhaps I will be inspired to work on some lacy scarves myself. I do have several hanks of laceweight ready and raring to go!

    10/08/2008 2:44 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home