Sunday, November 18, 2007

  • Main Page
  • Eek! Steek!

    You have to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was.
    -Abraham Lincoln

    I took full advantage of a Sunday off yesterday to get some stuff done. I made the cranberry sauce and pie crusts for Thanksgiving, a big pot of chicken stock, and - most importantly as far as this blog is concerned - my first steek.

    The parts I was most scared of turned out to be the smallest piece of the whole process. I wanted a sewn steek with my superwash fingering weight wool (Dale Baby Ull), so I used this Knitty tutorial as a guideline. As you may recall, I'm still a little frightened of my sewing machine, and I was nervous about that aspect. Turns out, it was pretty easy. These may not be the straightest lines in the world, but they were close enough.What I hadn't realized was how much work it would be to then sew the sleeve in - twice. Time one went fine. Fingering weight, careful, but what I'm used to. Time two was sewing down the facing (and then fully realizing what happens in a steek - ingenious!). I also learned an important truth: Whipstich is awesome. And as the day turned into night, and I had to start using my flash, I had a gorgeous sewn-in sleeve for my steek. Now I only have to finish that second sleeve up there and cut the other steek. (I've sewn it already - I wanted to use good daytime light on a weekend day.)

    . . . And I need to hold myself back from buying oodles and oodles of Dale yarns and patterns. This is fun. And easy. And did I mention fun? Tell me - is it still fun if you make it in a man's size instead of a toddler's?

    Labels: , , ,

    9 Comments:

    Blogger Karen said...

    How brave you are to boldly take on the steek!! Glad to see you won. The sweater looks great.

    11/19/2007 12:04 PM  
    Blogger Liz K. said...

    I fear my machine too. I have a question, in that vein...did you use the regular foot on your sewing machine, or did you switch it out for a walking foot? I would like to start taking my machine to my knitting, but don't know if it would fit.

    11/19/2007 1:08 PM  
    Blogger Pam said...

    The sweater is adorable! I love those Dale baby sweaters. I've made several, right up till I had babies of my own. Then the gauge was too fine for the time I had.

    Steeks are still fun in a man-sized sweater. And you can use yarn that isn't super-wash (clingier) and with any luck, a bigger gauge.

    11/19/2007 2:17 PM  
    Blogger Elaine said...

    Looks adorable. There really is no difference steeking a man's sized sweater and a toddler's. If you use a worsted weight yarn then you probably knit just the same amount as you do with a fingering weight kid's sweater

    11/19/2007 3:49 PM  
    Blogger Dorothy said...

    Congratulations! You are no longer a steek virgin. My first steek was on an adult sweater with fingering weight alpaca. I never feared again. I have huge collection of Dale books and Baby Ull - my favorites.

    11/19/2007 4:34 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I'm sure it's just as fun in a man-sized sweater, but do you really think he'd go for the ladybugs?

    11/19/2007 7:58 PM  
    Blogger carolyninAlaska said...

    Great sweater! I want to knit that. Does it count if I've made the hat?
    Thanks for "finding" me via Ravelry... and now I "found" you... a perfect trade!

    11/19/2007 10:08 PM  
    Blogger knitzalot said...

    Wow, you're getting so close to finishing that! It looks great.

    11/20/2007 8:12 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    More fun because there's more to steek.

    That's so cute!

    11/21/2007 7:19 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home