Thursday, November 06, 2008

  • Main Page
  • Remembering Nantucket

    Memory is a way of holding on to the things you love, the things you are, the things you never want to lose.
    -Kevin Arnold

    I love weekend trips. The posts for the next few days will be auto-posting (thank you, Blogger) while I'm enjoying a weekend trip to Santa Fe where I'll be meeting up with my parents and the flitgirl's delightful parents. I'm very much looking forward to a little time away, the company of those I love, and - last but not least - sweater weather! Temperature projects are in the 30s to 50s.

    Which means this project is actually not coming, being knit in cotton as it is, but I'll be busting out some of the wool from the trunk. Nevertheless, I've been feeling all kinds of nostalgic (homesick?) lately, and this sweater calls to mind a blustery winter weekend in 2004 or 2005.

    Nantucket Jacket
    Pattern: from Interweave Knits, the Kniting Daily special, and one issue some time ago . . .
    Yarn: Cotton-Ease in Candy Blue. This is my second sweater in this yarn (first here), and I still have more. The stash, it is a mighty thing.
    Needles: US6 - had to go down to get gauge
    Notes: A lovely pattern, well written, no errors I could find. The only change I made was to lengthen the sleeves to full length. And don't neglect the crochet edging. I only crochet once a year, but it made the sweater.
    The Best Thing About This Sweater: Aren't these the perfect pewter anchor buttons? This is a great New England sort of sweater.

    Most people visit Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket in the summer. Lovely beaches, lobster rolls, a nice sailing wind. And I've been to the Vineyard in the summer, once. Every other time I've gone has been chilly - a delightful fall with perfect changing leaves, a cold and gray winter weekend with the flitgirl. And then there was that January trip to Nantucket. A very good friend for very good talking. Stew and beer in an old pub with a roaring fire. A historic bed and breakfast, also with a roaring fire. Wearing all of my favorite handknits, and discovering how much my friend also loved handknit socks. A perfect weekend. Until the blizzard closed the ferry, and - rather than getting stranded - we got some of the last seats on the high-speed ferry across a choppy choppy choppy sound. And a long drive down the Cape in near-blizzard conditions. A 3-hour return trip turned into 7 or 8. And, in retrospect, did I actually learn anything useful that next day in medical school? To this day I regret not just staying and getting snowed in to that wintery world standing still under a blanket of snow.

    Labels:

    5 Comments:

    Blogger Jenn said...

    I plan to use cotton ease for mine too - and yes, i have tons of candy blue also (but mine will be terracotta). Very pretty!

    11/06/2008 11:09 AM  
    Blogger JayJay said...

    I love your version and cotton ease would be so much better for this climate. If only I had more time to knit!

    11/06/2008 12:34 PM  
    Blogger Disentangled said...

    It came out great! I still have Cotton Ease in Terracotta in my stash for this...maybe I'll get to it one day! Have a great weekend away!

    11/06/2008 1:15 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    It turned out beautifully - good idea using CE for it. Have a fantastic trip!

    11/07/2008 9:11 AM  
    Blogger Katie said...

    Ah! Winter with snow, instead of rain. How I miss that...

    11/07/2008 5:45 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home