Tuesday, May 29, 2007

  • Main Page
  • A Re-Sounding Delight

    The most basic of all human needs is the need
    to understand and be understood.
    The best way to understand people is to listen to them.
    — Ralph Nichols

    I just got back from a great reunion weekend . . . and details to follow. In the meantime, my analysis of the podcast situation . . .

    All your podcast suggestions were a re-sounding delight (pun very intended, thankyouverymuch!). Since I spent a goodly amount of iPod time in the past few weeks trying out new ones, I thought I'd share some thoughts on the ones I tested.

    First, the successes:
    • Stash and Burn - Talk about talking about knitting . . . and I love the way they measure their stashes.

    • It's A Purl Man - I was totally taken from the first time I heard the theme music.

    • Sticks and String - I might be fooled by the Australian accent, but it's a good kind of fooled. This is a good time.

    • The Knitting Cook - Currently on maternity leave, but plenty of archives to sift through. And should be coming back one of these months.

    • Socks in the City - All sock knitting, all the time. I love it.

    • The News From Lake Wobegone - How did I miss that this was now a podcast? Glad to have remedied that.

    And, in the not-for-me category:

    • Lime and Violet - I know this is popular, so I gave it three whole shows before giving up. But it seems like all they do is talk about yarn people sent them. And that laugh! Not for me.

    Labels:

    12 Comments:

    Blogger Carole Knits said...

    Bravo for you for all these podcasts. And as for Lime & Violet, I agree.

    5/29/2007 7:07 AM  
    Blogger JayJay said...

    I will have to check some of these out before my next trip! Can't wait to hear about the reunion weekend! Did you see our favorite Providence family of four?

    5/29/2007 7:50 AM  
    Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

    LOL about L and V, I completely agree!

    5/29/2007 7:51 AM  
    Blogger Sereknitty said...

    I can't seem to get the socks in the city link to work. Can you repost the address itself?

    5/29/2007 9:55 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I am glad you ave Guido a try and liked his podcast. I really enjoy listening to him. I am in the same boat in regard to LandV. Different strokes and all that.

    5/29/2007 10:10 AM  
    Blogger WandaWoman said...

    That's the beauty of podcasts, there's a great variety. I did not know about Socks in the City. I'll be checking that one out. I'll have to give the Knitting Cook another go.

    5/29/2007 1:00 PM  
    Blogger Pam said...

    Thanks for the podcast wrap-up! I'd quit looking for knitting podcasts for a while -- lots of people love L&V and it turned out not to be my cup of tea. Glad to have some ideas of other flavors to try.

    5/29/2007 2:58 PM  
    Blogger Stephanie said...

    There are a couple of new ones there I haven't listened to. I'll have to check them out. I'm trying to be better about exercise and I find that podcasts make the time go faster. I'm with you on Lime & Violet. They weren't for me either.

    5/29/2007 4:01 PM  
    Blogger Elizabeth said...

    You might also enjoy the Knitpicks podcast; I just listened to that for the first time. Craftborg and Craftsanity are not knitting-specific, but also enjoyable.

    5/29/2007 4:08 PM  
    Blogger Liz K. said...

    I'm excited to try the sock knitting podcast! Yay!

    5/29/2007 5:02 PM  
    Blogger Karen said...

    I don't care for Lime & Violet either, but was afraid to admit it for fear of being flogged!!! It's refreshing to see others agree as well - I thought it was just me.

    I'm going to check out Socks in the City - that's a new one for me!! Thanks for recommending it!

    5/30/2007 6:05 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Stash and Burn is cute, and I recently got hooked on The Knitting Cook, which I love. :)

    5/30/2007 5:32 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home