Tuesday, May 22, 2007

  • Main Page
  • Evolution of an Evening.

    Each morning sees some task begin,
    Each evening sees it close;
    Something attemped, something done,
    Has earned a night's repose.
    -Henry Wadsworth Longfellow


    Last night was one of those nights perfect for knitting. The (afianced) beau was on call, I had a new DVD from Netflix, and nothing pressing. Time to knit. But what? The Chuppah is, of course, the biggest priority, but it's actually also portable and will probably be finished on my plane trip East this weekend. So I had the freedom to muddle with some of the other projects.

    Last weekend I started, as you may recall, the Ballet T-Shirt from Loop-d-Loop. And last night I tried it on. It's down to the bust, and it actually looks better than I might have thought. But I wondered if I'd ever wear it. -- Brief comment: the pattern in the book actually has only two sizes, the largest of which is a 28" bust, with the comment that it is "stretchy." I'm actually using the pattern for the Ballet Sweater from Interweave Knits (Spring?) 2005 without the sleeves. -- But I'm still thinking that it'll never be a go-to sweater for me, that I'll never pick it up out of all the possibilities in my drawers and closet and actually wear it, except, perhaps, out of a sense of "should" . . .

    So I pondered using this purple yarn (which randomly showed up in my mailbox one day and which I now like very much) for it's offshoot, Picovoli. This is a t-shirt that Grumperina designed, inspired by the Ballet T-Shirt, but to actually look good on a real woman. What a concept. And it seems to have worked - check out the gallery, where it's obvious it does look good on many women. But then I got lazy, of a sorts, and really didn't really feel like doing a provisional cast-on for the picot edge. So I contemplated Green Gable. . . so much so that I downloaded it. But somehow I just didn't feel like it either. And I didn't feel like ripping out the Ballet T-Shirt either. It is, after all, about halfway done.

    So I then I turned to a completely different project with different yarn and a different pattern and actual sleeves. This is a sweater from an old Family Circle Easy Knitting, back when that magazine existed, written for Cotton-Ease. Ironically, the magazine hit the stands very shortly before Cotton-Ease was discontinued and has several wonderful patterns for the yarn. I've already made the zippered cardigan (which I wear all the time, in spite of the tragic zipper story here) and at the same time had photocopied this 3/4-sleeve sweater pattern and stuck it in a bag with an appropriate amount of Cotton-Ease in a lovely blue that is totally not captured by either photo (it's been very overcast in San Diego lately). I think I had intended to do it two summers ago when I was traveling, but never did. And then I intended to do it last summer. And then . . . last night just seemed like the night. And after a few false starts wherein I proved that I can't count to six, I've already knit about 6 inches of the back in a rice pattern (close up in the completely mis-represented color on the right). And I'm just loving it. Simple, but not boring. Relaxing. It's measuring out to just the right measurements. And Cotton-Ease has such a delightful drape. (I'm knitting this on US7s.) While it won't be the summer tank I was planning, I do like the way my evening evolved. Expect to see this one fly off the needles.

    Given my not-inconsiderable number of UFOs - Why the quest for another sweater, you may ask? Rowena is blocking - and drying - and my only other sweater in progress is a Debbie Bliss Aran in denim. Which I can't really start until I'm done the Chuppah, so that the indigo dye doesn't transfer from my hands.

    This post seems to have a lot of free-association in it, I realize. But so did my evening.

    Labels: ,

    11 Comments:

    Blogger Unknown said...

    Oh, I can't wait to see the completed chuppah. And the starts on your tops look great. I still have yet to knit a top or sweater for myself. I have some in the works for next winter, though. Have a great trip!

    5/22/2007 11:19 AM  
    Blogger JayJay said...

    The Cotton-Ease sweater sounds lovely! I'm not sure about the Ballet T-shirt either. It looks so cool on some people, but how can one be sure you are one of those people?

    5/22/2007 11:22 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I think all of these projects (and the ones waiting in the wings) sounds very exciting. It sounds like you had a very productive knitting and planning night!

    5/22/2007 11:26 AM  
    Blogger Elinor said...

    You are a sweater knitting machine! The cotton-ease one sounds great, even if it wasn't your original intention! I look horrible in summer sweaters (must be the flat-chestedness) so I'm always jealous of those of you who can wear them!!!

    5/22/2007 11:49 AM  
    Blogger knitzalot said...

    I'd love to see those cotton-ease patterns sometime.

    5/22/2007 12:10 PM  
    Blogger WandaWoman said...

    I like your new project start, the rice pattern looks very nice. I love C-E too.

    5/22/2007 12:45 PM  
    Blogger Anneliese Kelly said...

    The people are crying out for the chuppah, Terri! Don't let them down!

    (Also, we should discuss how/when it's getting here...so I can get it to the florist)

    5/22/2007 12:46 PM  
    Blogger Jenn said...

    Yay for Cotton Ease! And I always thought the ballet t-shirt looked funny - like it was waaaaaaaaaayyyy too small on the model. I prefer picovli - maybe this summer mine'll actually get made?!

    5/22/2007 3:31 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I'm glad you finally settled on something satisfying after lots of project indecision. I agree that short-sleeve knitted tees often sound better in theory than they are in practice.

    See you this weekend? Do you still have my cell number? If so, give me a call and let's try to meet up. I'll be at campus dance and will keep my eyes peeled for you.

    5/22/2007 6:17 PM  
    Blogger Dorothy said...

    It sounds like the perfect evening to me- just doing what's fun. I think so much of the time we approach knitting as a chore, with projects we feel compelled to work on, even when we don't want to. Hmmm - read my current posting - I'm pretty guilty. Maybe we should just do what you did more often - knit where the spirit leads us and just have fun!

    5/23/2007 6:14 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    "Simple but not boring" sounds good to me. The main thing is you found something that you're enjoying. :)

    5/23/2007 4:08 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home