Saturday, June 23, 2007

  • Main Page
  • All Your Questions Answered

    I chose my wife, as she did her wedding gown,
    for qualities that would wear well.
    -Oliver Goldsmith

    Q: Where is the FO shot for the Chuppah?
    A: This will have to do until the wedding:

    Don't you think it deserves a real FO shot from the real wedding?

    Q: What wedding are we talking about here?
    A: Not mine (although, yes, I am getting married - the wedding is in April). The flitgirl and Toasty Joe are getting married on the most popular wedding date ever. The Chuppah is a Jewish wedding tradition, and the lucky couple are having an interfaith ceremony. Although we would love to use The Chuppah as much as humanly possible, neither the beau nor I is Jewish. (But I do know what "Mazel Tov" means - and thanks!)

    Q: Will you make me a Chuppah for my wedding?
    A: No.

    Q: Why not?
    A: There are very few people in the world I love this much, but the flitgirl is definitely one of them. She even changed her wedding date early in the planning to accomodate my military schedule. We've been the best of friends since middle school, and no friends ever quite know you as well as the ones who prank called your seventh-grade crush for you. (And yes, I am nervous that the beau will be meeting the flitgirl - why do you ask?) Seriously, though, I think it would kill me to knit that much more white lace. Just ask JayJay - she has my extra Zephyr.
    Q: What did you think of the Chuppah in Interweave Knits?
    A: Too many people have asked me this to plead no comment. But they used doubled DK weight yarn and size 13 needles. I used laceweight and size 4s. And I think mine is much lovelier. I do like, however, that they knit it out from the center. For my next Chuppah . . .

    Q: Will you ever knit lace again?
    A: I wound the yarn yesterday. I'm making the Paisley Long Shawl from Fiddlesticks Knitting (the same wonderful people who have brought you the Peacock Shawl and the Tina Shawl - and may I say that my order arrived from Toronto about 2 days after I ordered it!). The yarn in questions is KnitPicks Shadow in Jewel - a lovely heathered blue that has no white anything whatsoever, a gift from Jenn when we were passing through Texas last summer. At that time I was working on the Peacock Shawl, getting ready to swatch for the Chuppah - It all does come around, doesn't it?

    Labels: , ,

    18 Comments:

    Blogger Adrienne said...

    I can't wait to see this. I bet its beautiful! The small snippet you showed is beautiful lol

    6/23/2007 8:46 AM  
    Blogger Stephanie said...

    There's nothing better than a childhood friend. And best friends are so generous. You've outdone yourself with the chuppah.

    6/23/2007 10:47 AM  
    Blogger WandaWoman said...

    You're a good friend. The chuppah will be so lovely.

    6/23/2007 11:01 AM  
    Blogger Jenny Raye said...

    Even folded up it looks gorgeous! I can't wait to see it in wedding photos.

    Wondering if you could use it as a veil?

    6/23/2007 12:10 PM  
    Blogger Marina said...

    What will the flitgirl use it for after the wedding?

    It's gorgeous!

    6/23/2007 12:23 PM  
    Blogger sloth-knits said...

    I can't wait to see the chuppah in action!

    That's awesome that you got the Paisley Long Shawl pattern! Mine has been languishing for the last almost-year.

    6/23/2007 1:20 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    That chuppah is gorgeous. Lace on lace weight yarn makes me scared just thinking about it. Can't wait to see pics of it actually gifted to the happy couple. Congrats on your own engagement. :-D

    6/23/2007 2:01 PM  
    Blogger Tracy Batchelder said...

    I look forward to the wedding photos.

    6/24/2007 5:25 AM  
    Blogger Maureen said...

    Your Chuppah is just breathtaking!!

    6/24/2007 6:48 AM  
    Blogger Jenn said...

    It looks lovely just as it is! I just started a long rectangular shawl myself - the Myrtle Leaf Shawl from Victorian Lace Today. Can't wait to see how yours turns out!

    6/24/2007 8:43 AM  
    Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

    You are so funny and your chuppah is amazing. I hope you realize that you are also off the hook for a wedding present at this point...

    6/24/2007 9:03 AM  
    Blogger Kim said...

    I do hope that during or after the wedding, you'll get good photos of the chuppah. =) And submit to Yarnival! - you deserve more publicity!

    6/25/2007 11:31 AM  
    Blogger alligator said...

    What a magnificent gift! The Chuppah looks so beautiful from the photos that I've seen before, I can't wait to see it in its place of honor at the wedding!

    6/25/2007 11:53 AM  
    Blogger Marsha said...

    Toasty Joe is apparently camera shy so we'll be looking forward to seeing the pictures.....I have faith in you to make it happen!!

    6/25/2007 1:40 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    All I can say is- thank goodness the most popular wedding day ever is soon- we wanna see that Chuppah in action!

    6/25/2007 9:00 PM  
    Blogger Carrie K said...

    Oh, that's true, the Chuppah should remain veiled until the wedding. But waaah.

    What? You're not going to start churning out Chuppahs? Theresa! ;)

    6/26/2007 11:32 AM  
    Blogger JayJay said...

    I can't wait to see a wedding shot! I'm sure it will be the most stunning aspect of the wedding (besides the couple,of course). Thanks so much for sending the extra yarn! (I think it may be sitting in my apartment building office, but I've been busy with medical stuff).

    6/27/2007 8:19 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Congratulations, Theresa! I know it's been a long haul, but I bet you'll feel wonderful (and full of pride) to see it in action at the wedding next month. And speaking as someone whose chuppah was handmade for her by a loved one, I can tell you that I can't think of much that's more meaningful on a wedding day.

    6/28/2007 9:47 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home