Monday, June 04, 2007

  • Main Page
  • More in Black

    The uniform makes for brotherhood,
    since when universally adopted it covers up
    all differences of class and country.
    -Sir Robert Baden-Powell

    Rather than choosing a UFO this month, my UFO chose me. See, this pair of plain black uniform socks had been sitting, rather neglected, in the bottom of my backpack for these many months. And then one day early in May I found myself with a spare half hour and nothing else to knit. No delinquent notes to write. No telephone consults to answer. Not even any admin to do. You see, last month I was living the good life on Dermatology. No call. Weekends off. And a long lunch break. Not to mention that I can't even feel guilty about it - it's a required component of an Internal Medicine Residency. But I digress. So, with my first long lunch break, I picked up this long neglected socks and began knitting. And once the first sock got finished, it was an easy matter to take care of the second sock. And here they are, extending my working-sock wardrobe. Just in time to go back to Internal Medicine (and my last month of internship!).

    Black Uniform Socks
    Pattern: 1x1 rib cuff, 3x1 rib leg and foot, standard top-down, etc.
    Yarn: Sockotta (wool-cotton mix) in, um, black
    Needles: US1 bamboo 5" dpns
    Notes: I wasn't a big fan of the wool-cotton sock yarns. Until I moved to San Diego.
    Best Thing About This Project: One more day before sock laundry becomes necessary.

    Labels: ,

    11 Comments:

    Blogger Jenn said...

    Yay for finished socks! Though I don't envy you having to wear socks this time of year!

    6/04/2007 6:36 AM  
    Blogger Carole Knits said...

    How can it be your last month of internship already? Wow.

    6/04/2007 7:00 AM  
    Blogger WandaWoman said...

    I didn't even know that Sockotta had solid colors. Not a fan of the wool/cotton mix myself, but I can see that being handy in SD. Yay for finished socks, always good to add another pair to the pile.

    6/04/2007 8:50 AM  
    Blogger JayJay said...

    Yes, I agree wool/cotton seems much more practical in this climate. What a lovely pair of socks, and it always feels good to finish that project at the bottom of the bag. Congratulations on your last month of internship!

    6/04/2007 10:13 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Handknit unifrom socks, love it.

    6/04/2007 2:27 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Yay, good for you! I love the "best thing" about this porject - ha!

    6/04/2007 3:22 PM  
    Blogger Tracy Batchelder said...

    I also need some cotton in my socks. It's hot here!

    6/04/2007 3:33 PM  
    Blogger Stephanie said...

    I'm glad to see you finally finished your very useful black socks. Have you been an intern that long already?

    6/04/2007 3:53 PM  
    Blogger Dorothy said...

    So what's next after internship? Will you stay in San Diego or be stationed elsewhere. And what of the beau? Will you stationed together? Inquiring minds want to know.

    6/04/2007 9:26 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hard working socks.

    Incidentally, I never would have put Dermatology in the "Internal Medicine" category. Skin is about as external as you can get.

    6/05/2007 4:31 AM  
    Blogger Lorette said...

    I can't believe you're almost done with internship. Didn't you just start?
    And don't ever feel guilty about the rare slow moments in your work life. They won't ever happen very often, so you should take full advantage of them.

    6/12/2007 11:35 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home