Tuesday, January 16, 2007

  • Main Page
  • Winter Lace

    In seed time teach, in harvest learn, in winter enjoy.
    -William Blake

    Margene is always talking about knitting lace in January, and I think it has something to do with the icy, snowy climate in which she lives. She sees the designs all around her. Me? I prefer lace in the summer. Surely you haven't forgotten The Amazing Lace? I like to travel with my lace, to knit something light when the sun is shining and the weather is hot.

    Today, however, is an exception. It has been very cold in San Diego (for San Diego) recently - in the 20s F in the morning and only warming up into the low 50s. Considering that nothing is insulated or heated, I'm getting a good amount of use from my lovely collection of wool sweaters and socks. Somehow, though, I have a mental block when it comes to putting on gloves or mittens in Southern California. I do have pockets, after all.

    So, the exception? Today is all about lace. I didn't get much of a holiday weekend, since working 2 of 3 days doesn't seem very holiday-ish to me, but I do have today off thanks to the vagaries of the ER schedule. In my day, it's all about knitting The Chuppah. When you start getting emails from the florist, you know it's time to get serious, time myself on the rows, and then make a spreadsheet of what needs to be done when.

    And on the blog, it's all about this piece of lace:

    Branching Out
    Pattern: Is there anyone out there who really needs the link?
    Yarn: Doucier et Soie kid mohair and silk
    Needles: US 7 Clover dpns, 2 used as straights
    Notes: I'm probably the only person not totally in love with this pattern. It was billed as a beginner's intro to lace. Without flattering myself, I'm not exactly a beginning lace knitter. And this pattern just drove me crazy. Now, most of that is probably my fault, since I rarely did more than one repeat at a time. But I never memorized it, and I just got a little bored of the 10-row repeat, without getting into a good meditative rhythm. Which is why it took me far too long to finish . . . But I do like it now that it's done.
    Best Thing About This Project: One down on the 2007 UFO Resurrection!

    16 Comments:

    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I should make this. I have the yarn. It comes out so pretty. I can't figure out why I don't want to.

    Your lovely FO definitely makes me feel as though I ought to just forge ahead with it, though.

    Happy day off! Happy winter lace!

    1/16/2007 10:04 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I have this scarf in UFO format hiding somewhere. I didn't love the pattern either nor did I care for the fuzzy yarn. I should go digging through some piles and try to finish it. Hmm.

    1/16/2007 10:21 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Lovely! I have been knitting this scarf in my own handspun alpaca, and I have to day that is really is a pretty pattern. I agree with you, however, that it isn't really a whole lot of fun to knit. Hurray for you on finishing a UFO though!

    1/16/2007 10:41 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Absolutely beautiful!

    1/16/2007 12:09 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Pretty! And one down on the UFO challenge.

    It's really cold. All I can think of lately is knitting cabled pullovers. Hopefully you'll get tons of Chuppah knit today!

    1/16/2007 12:32 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I love DeS and that color is gorgeous. Susan's scarf has just enough repeat rows that you can't quite memorize it. You did a nice job, however. Enjoy it and stay warm!

    1/16/2007 1:10 PM  
    Blogger Meg said...

    Congratulations - another one off the UFO list! You're going like a steam train.

    1/16/2007 2:15 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    So pretty in pink! Your experience reminds me of my unsuccessful attempt at the popular Flower Basket shawl (except you were successful, of course.) I'm at least an intermediate lace knitter, but for some reason couldn't get that stinker to do what it was supposed to, so ditched it.

    1/16/2007 3:53 PM  
    Blogger Jenn said...

    Lovely! I have this lurking around somewhere as an UFO too. I also cannot get "into" the pattern, though I love the way it looks.

    1/16/2007 5:25 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    You are inspiring me to finish my own unfinished Branching Out!

    1/16/2007 7:07 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hmmm... I have a friend who is learning to knit who wants to try this pattern. I wonder if I should stear her in another direction? I've never knit it myself. Yours looks lovely, though... is it itchy? I've never worn mohair next to my skin.

    1/16/2007 8:25 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Very pretty! You're going to be glad you finished it. Too lovely to remain a UFO.

    1/17/2007 6:15 AM  
    Blogger Anneliese Kelly said...

    I was a beginner lace knitter when I tried this pattern (thanks to the lovely pink yarn that T gave me for my birthday one year) and I found it incredibly helpful in mastering the basics. So tell your friend to go for it jennie.

    Sorry, T, Donna is a force. And she's very curious about the chuppah

    1/17/2007 6:55 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I know what you mean about the cold. It's been so chilly I've even been wearing socks (gasp!). The scarf looks beautiful and should help ward off some of the chill!

    1/17/2007 7:57 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Reading your post now I'm wary of the Branching Out pattern. I have the yarn for it tucked away, you see, but have never got round to starting it. Your's looks very feminine and delicate and it's finished, which is a huge positive!

    1/18/2007 2:03 PM  
    Blogger Unknown said...

    thats really pretty in that yarn! Almost makes me want to knit another one!

    1/21/2007 7:02 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home