Friday, March 06, 2009

  • Main Page
  • Bondegard

    Being born in a duck yard does not matter,
    if only you are hatched from a swan's egg.
    -Hans Christian Anderson

    Apparently, I like complicated things. Systems with a lot of rules, nuances, exceptions, and many, many layers. After twenty-something odd years, I finally learned this about myself from my husband; he noticed it almost immediately. While it probably explains a lot of life, from my chosen profession to my yarn spreadsheet to the long list of sales, coupon match-ups, and recipes I take to the grocery store, it also probably explains why I knit a baby sweater with fifteen colors.

    You read that correctly - fifteen, one-five. Granted, many of those colors only required a few ounces of yarn, but it does take up a considerable amount of space in the stash. Regardless, whether it is because it is complicated or because it is just so dang cute, this may be my favorite baby sweater yet.

    Bondegard
    Pattern: from Dale of Norway's Soft Treasures for Little Ones (apparently OOP, but snatch up a copy if you can)
    Yarn: Dale Baby Ull - why mess with their color sense? in the 15 colors as called for in the pattern
    Needles: US 0 and 2
    Notes: No changes to the pattern. I made the 24 month size - if I'm going to do all that work, I want the baby to get a lot of wear out of it!
    Best Thing About This Project: After all that knitting, I'd hate to say the buttons. But look at the buttons!

    I'm counting this sweater for NaKniSweMoDo (knit 12 sweaters in 12 months, in a mishmash of Latin and blog-speak). Technically, it's not an adult sweater. It is, however 28 inches around, knit on US2 needles, and contains 15 colors. It took probably two- or three-times as much knitting as my next NaKniSweMoDo sweater, Acer, which is also finished and will appear this week. And it involved steeks. Plus, it's just so cute!

    Labels: , ,

    16 Comments:

    Blogger Emily said...

    Sooo cute!!

    3/06/2009 12:50 PM  
    Blogger Knitting Up North said...

    You're right, that is just beyond too cute for words! You've an amazing talent. Love SC

    3/06/2009 1:45 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    LOVE!

    3/06/2009 4:02 PM  
    Blogger Claire said...

    You are incredible. Fifteen colors!

    Wow. :)

    3/06/2009 4:15 PM  
    Blogger Kristen said...

    Wonderful! Lucky baby.
    A 28", 15 color sweater should count as 2 adult sweaters, IMHO.

    3/06/2009 5:42 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    that has to be the cutest baby sweater I've ever seen! 15 colors? wow, and steeks? size 2's? *shiver*
    btw those buttons are adorable!

    3/06/2009 7:47 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Yep, gotta be the cutest baby sweater ever! With the cutest buttons ever!! Where do the buttons go -- I don't see them on the sweater. Are they at the shoulder?????

    3/07/2009 4:05 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I absolutely LOVE it.
    I saw this sweater a while ago and thought "nah". You are making me rethink...

    Cant wait to see your acer.

    3/08/2009 6:56 AM  
    Blogger Dorothy said...

    I definitely think that counts. It is WAY cute! I love Dale's baby sweaters. I think I have all of the books and have made several for my granddaughters. And Baby Ull is my favorite yarn ever! Good job!!

    3/08/2009 7:54 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    With 15 colors and all that work, I trust the recipient's parent(s) are special! You must be certain to get a photo of the baby adorned in this one. It is quite simply, gorgeous. And I love the button detail....

    3/08/2009 8:12 AM  
    Blogger Donna said...

    The whole sweater is delicious, but the duck buttons (OMG! Duck buttons!) are the icing on the cake.

    3/08/2009 11:39 AM  
    Blogger Pam said...

    What a great sweater! So adorable, so beautiful!

    3/08/2009 6:10 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Simply ADORABLE! The buttons are perfect!

    3/08/2009 10:47 PM  
    Blogger Kim said...

    Love it, of course. But something caught my eye - Baby Ull is superwash, isn't it? How did the steeking work? I could consider doing a colorwork baby sweater if it's washable....

    3/09/2009 3:43 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I have a Dale book and now am inspired. That is the sweetest baby sweater I ever saw!

    3/09/2009 4:02 PM  
    Blogger JayJay said...

    My gosh, is that adorable! I can't believe that you managed 15 colors and all that detail, and finished it so quickly. You are a master knitter indeed. :)

    3/09/2009 5:25 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home