Wednesday, March 11, 2009

  • Main Page
  • The Staff of Life

    Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. \
    This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining.
    -Jeff Raskin


    Friendly reminder: Have you backed up your computer lately?

    It's moved to the top of my to-do list after a bit of an operating system scare this weekend. Fortunately, the kind folks at the Apple Genius Bar were able to fix the software glitch (and for free!), but it did remind me of how much stuff only exists on one computer. . . . Not the least of which are many photos of knitted goods and my trusty yarn-stash spreadsheet.

    At any rate, with my computer down for the count for a few days, you'd think I'd actually get some knitting done. And I did, but the photos still need to be uploaded.

    While we wait, I want to refer you again to my new favorite cookbook. Complete with blog. Artisan Bread in Five Minutes A Day. It's amazing. Tasty. Great crust, nice soft insides. Good tasting. Easy. And really everything bread should be, but super speedy. Making this bread requires flour, water, yeast, and salt. It takes less time (and energy) than driving to the grocery store. And it tastes better.

    Plus, the smell of baking bread really goes nicely with some knitting. Which is coming soon.

    Labels:

    8 Comments:

    Blogger Carole Knits said...

    It IS good bread. We just devoured a loaf with dinner tonight.

    3/11/2009 4:06 PM  
    Blogger Claire said...

    Hi! I have a question about the ABIFMAD book - do you use a baking stone? Thanks!

    3/11/2009 6:34 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hubby wanted French dip sandwiches the other night and believe it or not, I almost got in the car and drove down to the store to buy the rolls. Then I remembered I had a tub of dough in the fridge! They were the best French dips I've ever had!

    3/11/2009 9:38 PM  
    Blogger sloth-knits said...

    I've been gorging on bread ever since I found the master loaf recipe on-line. I think I'm going to try the ABi5 blog's suggestion of baking a loaf in a Dutch oven, but the parchment paper info I've found on-line says their max baking temps are lower than what the bread recipes call for. Have you tried parchment for the bread loaves?

    3/11/2009 10:11 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Backed up my computer? What does that mean? LOL

    I am enjoying that Artisan Bread book, too. In fact, I need to make up a new batch this morning.

    3/13/2009 6:48 AM  
    Blogger Libby said...

    I can almost smell that bread from here. I must get that cookbook. Now. Thanks for your comments and for playing along on my blog!

    3/13/2009 7:32 AM  
    Blogger JayJay said...

    Ok, I have to try this! My mom sent me the recipe but I haven't had time to make it. This semester has been crazy!

    3/17/2009 8:47 AM  
    Blogger Sweepstakes offers said...

    Win $500 ShopRite gift cards by entering the shoprite survey at www.myshopriteexperience.com for each month.

    3/06/2020 2:25 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home